Making Fresh Mozzarella

Monday, January 20, 2014

Lately I've been loving making my own ‘things’...It started with the sleep salve, bagels, and croissants and after that I became unstoppable. Somehow concocting things on my own makes me feel like I’m nourishing myself and my family in a way that I haven’t before.

I've been thinking about making a fresh mozzarella for a while now but since I found the process a bit intimidating, I never got the courage to do it myself - till yesterday, that is. In the morning Balazs got a call that he has to do an urgent translation, so I instinctively knew what I'd be up to that day. I had all the specific ingredients at home so I popped out for milk and spent my morning making mozzarella from scratch while listening to Adele in the background. Interestingly enough it wasn't hard at all. It felt very organic, like making almond milk. You know what they say, when you try a homemade mozzarella once, you will never want to go back to the store-bought stuff :) It is so true! Here is the recipe. I followed it to the T! xo

P.S: Caprese sandwich 2.0!
P.P.S: Ham + mozzarella + egg omelette + lemon curd = sandwich perfection!

(Photos by At Down Under)

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mmm I love cheese and making mazzarella would make me very happy. Need to find an afternoon this week to do so. Thanks.

Chic 'n Cheap Living said...

That is SO cool! I was also intrigued by making this at home, but never got around to it.

xoxo,
Chic 'n Cheap Living

Marieken Hoefnagel said...

I never new you could make your own! I bet it tastes super yummy :-)

Marieken Hoefnagel said...

Oops, monday morning... new should be knew :-)

Jillian Manesh said...

yummers! my father-in-law makes his own yogurt and i thought it was really weird... until i tried it! it tastes great :) xo jillian - cornflake dreams

Chrissy said...

This looks delicious! I love mozzarella but never made my own - doesn't seem that hard, I might even give it a try! Thanks for this and happy Monday, dear! xxx

erin said...

I tried making my own mozzarella over Christmas and it was an epic fail!
I would like to try it again, but I don't know what I did wrong exactly and it's such a lot of milk to waste.

Michelle {lovely little things} said...

My fave...yum!!

Diana Mieczan said...

Yay, Anonymous!

Diana Mieczan said...

I think you would love it, Chic 'n Cheap Living:)

Diana Mieczan said...

Marieken , muah!

Diana Mieczan said...

I LOVE homemade yogurt, Jillian!

Diana Mieczan said...

Hope you had an amazing day, Chrissy!

Diana Mieczan said...

Erin, it's all in the milk. The best is raw milk. It comes together beautifully. If you can't get raw milk, pasteurized milk will be ok as well but it won’t quite come together and have the wonderful, stringy texture as you’re making it. It will look more like ricotta cheese. Hope that helps

LyddieGal said...

I would be very intimidated to make it too, but oh, I bet the taste is just divine!
Chic on the Cheap

Diana Mieczan said...

Lyddie, it really does:)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

exPress-o All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk