Have you seen Adore? What did you think? It’s a 2013 Australian film directed by Anne Fontaine and based on Nobel Prize winner Doris Lessing’s novella The Grandmothers. The film also has another title, Two Mothers. It stars the amazing Naomi Watts and RobinWright. It’s a story of love, lust, picturesque and secluded Australian life, friendship, scandal and hard choices.
Imagine if you were in a situation where you have to choose between happiness no matter how unconventional it might be or settle for what society accepts being right. Which one would you choose? Do you go for an idyllic existence for the time being, till the world creeps onto you or do you resist it and accept the socially approved rules of relationships. What I love about the story is that it didn’t judge or give morality checks; it simply showed how this special and unique relationship can exist in a secluded setting but will fail miserably when it’s mixed with everyday normality. It’s one of those emotional tales that never goes where you expect it. As soon as you think you figured out the next scene, it will shock you, surprise you and make you think. It’s a must see and the type that will stay with you for many days to come and will let you make up your own mind about what’s wrong, what’s right and what’s simply impossible. A shocking, awkward, taboo yet emotionally charged exploration of women's desires.
Bits and bobs:
- This is Anne Fontaine's first English speaking film.
- She also wrote and directed Coco Before Chanel and Chloe.
- Naomi is one of my favourite actors, especially ever since The Impossible. Remember it?
- And she was brilliant in Mulholland Drive. It's one of Balazs' top favourite films.
- She also played Diana.
- Naomi and Anne on the film. It's brilliant how Naomi felt about the script.
- In a nutshell.
- Robin started off in 1984 on Santa Barbara, but recently she played a small role in the 2011 The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.
- Robin Wright is wonderful!
- Xavier Samuel is an Australian actor who played Naomi's son and he also had a part in The Twilight Saga. He played Riley.
- Here is what he thinks about the film.
- James Frecheville is the on-screen son of Robin Wright.
- I remember him best from Animal Kingdom, the 2010 drama.
- There is also Ben Mendelsohn, Sophie Lowe and Jessica Tovey.
- Two mothers and true friendship.
P.S: Plus, a few other films that rocked my world this year.
P.P.S: And 10 feel good films of my 20s!
(Photos via IMDb)