Ubuntu - I Am Because We Are

Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Sometimes I come across a story that makes me so happy that I can't wait to share it with you. Below is one of those stories that gave me the biggest smile. In a world that focuses more and more on the individual and embraces the 'i' …it’s so refreshing to see communites that still believe in we :)

'An anthropologist proposed a game to children in an African tribe. He put a basket full of fruit near a tree and told the children that whoever got there first won the sweet fruits. When he told them to run, they all took each other’s hands and ran together, then sat together enjoying their treats. When he asked them why they had run like that when one could have had all the fruits for himself, they said, ‘Ubuntu', how can one of us be happy if all the other ones are sad?'

 ‘UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are'. Hope it made your Tuesday morning:) Missed you yesterday. xo

P.S: We are lucky!
P.P.S: And this sweet lesson on patience.

(via A Little Fall Of Rain)

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

This made me very happy. Sweet little sroty. Jill

Diana Mieczan said...

Aww...Jill:)

Tiffany Kadani said...

Beautiful. Absolutely what I need to inspire me to be a better person.

Jillian Manesh said...

what a sweet story! so heartwarming :) xo jillian - cornflake dreams

Diana Mieczan said...

Tiffany:)

Elie said...

Aww such beautiful story... it made my day...

wilma van asch said...

Beautiful thougt.

Jana Miller @ 333 Days of Hand Lettering said...

Wow! Love that principle

Alexa said...

Oh that made my day. Thanks for sharing Diana!

Mary Jo said...

This was just the sweetest, I love this!

xo Mary Jo

Jamillah said...

well that is just stunning :). thanks so much for sharing.

Vashnie said...

Being from South Africa, where Xhosa is one of our official languages, it warmed my heart just a little bit more than normal :)

Diana Mieczan said...

Aww...Elie:)

Diana Mieczan said...

Jana :)

Diana Mieczan said...

My pleasure, Alexa:)

Diana Mieczan said...

Vashnie, I LOVE your comment.

Diana Mieczan said...

Darlings, I am so happy you enjoyed it.

Anonymous said...

lovely , thank u for sharing this

Deniz said...

Wow! Thanks for mentioning this post again in your newsletter today! This is so beautiful it almost made me cry!

Diana Mieczan said...

Deniz...awww. My pleasure!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

exPress-o All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk