Four Nifty Winter Blues Busters

Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Are you dreading winter blues? Hmm, every year when the daylight saving arrives, I automatically start panicing about winter, cold, short days - and in my book it all adds up to a bad case of winter blues. For some reason the limited daylight really drags me down and the winter cold only adds to it all. How does it work for you?

So in hopes to avoid the grim B-word, I am planning to get started on four of Stephanie’s brilliant short-winter-days survivor tips. Fancy trying them too? Here they are:


1. Get outside every single day whether it’s raining, snowing or just plain freezing. Just get yourself bundled up and let your lungs fill up with that crisp air. Allow your cheeks to get rosy and your fingers frosty. It's good for you.

2. Bring the outside inside with fresh flowers, herbsplants, trees or bulbs like Paperwhites. They will make you feel more in touch with nature and trick your mind into feeling more spring-y.

3. Since our bodies craves that extra vitamin C, eat tons of citrus fruits like oranges, lemons, limes, mandarins and especially grapefruits. I love this take on grapefruit.

4. And add a bit of brightness and sass to your winter wardrobe with fun elbow patches, snazzy little tights, cozy layering and pop of colour hats. Something with a bit of flair goes a long way to lighten your mood.

Any other tips you'd like to add to the list? How do you deal with winter blues? xo

P.S: Ah, nine takes on toasty tootsies + French winter coziness.
P.P.S: Would you visit Paris during winter?

(Photos by Jennifer Young, 3191 Miles Apart, James NordVanessa Jackman and Kazuho Maruo via  Lauren,  Know by Heart, Girl with Coin, The Amused Eye, The Object EnthusiastLife on Sundays)

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am exactly the same. My mood changes depending on weather, cold and natural light. I am looking forward to adding those tips to my routine. Thanks Diana. Jill

Alicia Mackin said...

My office moved so now instead of sitting in a windowless office. I sit in a big open plan room with al windows. Really makes a difference.

Allie of Dressing Ken

Katie said...

These are all great suggestions and ideas! I think getting outside everyday, no matter the weather, is so important! Another one that I've been thinking of doing this winter, is get one of those seasonal lights. My doctor uses one and she highly recommended it for those that suffer from seasonal mood disorders.

Merry Meri said...

I hate the winter blues (the darkness gets me every time!) so I'm definitely going to try these tips! Thanks for sharing xox!

bridget anne said...

i quite like this. : ) i'm always a victim of the winter blues, and these are some of the rules i follow, too-- getting outside is definitely on the very, very top of the list. and trying to waking up extra early, burning a candle in the morning, being sure to take a photo every single day. it's the little things. i think we all are captivated by the wonder of winter for the first few weeks when it rolls around…but after awhile…haha…! we need our pick-me-ups to fall back on for sure. and i can't stop looking at those rainy city photos. rainy days in the city are my candy.

Marieken Hoefnagel said...

I got some flowers for myself a little while ago, this is a very good reason to do this more often!

Bryony said...

I definitely love the idea of getting outside each day. It really does make a difference. I also love doing a bit of baking every now and then: having a cup of cocoa and some apple pie or a pumpkin muffin can make a miserable day into a cozy one.

Jillian Manesh said...

plants are the best! we have quite a few in our living room and they always cheer me up ;) xo jillian - cornflake dreams

Diana Mieczan said...

Jill, my pleasure.

Diana Mieczan said...

Allie, that sounds wonderful:)

Diana Mieczan said...

Katie, I heard about them. Thanks for the reminder, I need to look into them.

Diana Mieczan said...

Merry:)

Diana Mieczan said...

I LOVE your morning candle idea, Bridget:)

Diana Mieczan said...

Marieken:) Fresh flowers always do the trick, don't they?

Diana Mieczan said...

Yes, yes, yes, Bryony! Baking and delicious treats are a must:)

Diana Mieczan said...

Awesome, Jillian:)

Giga said...

Czasami chce mnie zawładnąć zimowa depresja, więc dziękuję za świetne rady. Pozdrawiam.
Sometimes he wants me to take over the winter depression, so thank you for the great advice. Yours.

Laura Bear said...

These are really good. I too get the blues bad this time of year, and yesterday was particularly blue. It's raining today but I going to take this advice and get out there!

Diana Mieczan said...

My pleasure, Giga:)

Diana Mieczan said...

Laura, hope you had a great walk, sweetie.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

exPress-o All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk