French take on autumn baked apples

Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Baked apples remind me of childhood and my grandma. I’ve always been a picky eater and whenever I visited her she always had them ready for me. I remember her home smelling like Christmas no matter what season it was. That lady loved cinnamon, let me tell you:) So when Rachel Khoo's book came out and I spotted her French take on baked apples, I instantly knew that it’s a match made in heaven. Balazs calls them the grown up version of my childhood memories, she calls them Pommes rôties au four avec une sauce Béchamel sucrée et épicée.

Whether it's in French or in English, they are really the most delicious baked apples with sweet spiced béchamel sauce I’ve ever had + plus every time I eat them, I feel so darn French :)

Not to mention, they are the simplest dinner party dessert, but the type that will wow everyone, especially since they look so fancy and taste very home-y.

Baked apples with sweet spiced béchamel sauce
(Recipe by The Little Paris Kitchen by Rachel Khoo)

Ingredients:
- 6 dessert apples
- 6 cinnamon sticks

For the sweet béchamel sauce:
- 30 grams (1/4 cup) plain flour
- 30 grams (1 oz) of butter
- 500 ml (2 cups) milk, lukewarm
- 1/2 vanilla pod, cut widthways
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- Finely grated zest of 1/4 unwaxed orange
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- A pinch of nutmeg
- 1 clove

Preheat the oven to 150C (300F). Core each apple and place the cinnamon stick in each core.  Wrap each apple tightly with baking paper and tie with kitchen string. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the apples are soft but not collapsing.

Meanwhile, make the sauce. Melt the butter in a small pot over a medium heat. Next add the flour and mix it till you have a smooth paste. Take off the heat and let it cool for about 2 minutes before gradually adding the milk while whisking constantly. Split the vanilla pod and scrape out the grains. Place the pan back over a medium heat and add the pod, the grains, the sugar, the orange zest and the spices. Simmer for about 10 minutes while whisking to make sure the sauce doesn't burn on the bottom of the pan. If the sauce becomes too thick, whisk in a little more milk. When the sauce is ready, remove the vanilla pod and the clove before pouring the sauce into a jug.

To serve, unwrap the apples and stand them on individual plates. Let each person take out their cinnamon stick before pouring a generous helping of sauce over and inside the apple. Ta dah!

P.S: Plus, my my apple crisp and this irresistible little autumn snack.
P.P.S: A beautiful GIVEAWAY Wednesday is coming up!

(Photos and layout by exPress-o)

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been thinking about getting this cookbook ever since you posted a photo of it earlier this year. But now iT's official, it's way overdue - I am getting one today. I love baked apples. My mother used make them with honey and nuts but this take on them seems even more indulging. Thanks for always making me want to lick the screen. HaHaHa

Fashion art and other fancies said...

I'd love baked apples now please!

Diana Mieczan said...

Fashion art and other fancies, you would love them!

Diana Mieczan said...

Anonymous, you totally should! I use that cookbook weekly. Rachel's recipes are so delicious and easy to follow. Btw: baked apples with nuts and honey sound yum.

Katie said...

Oh my! This looks amazing!! It would be a showstopper at a dinner party. Or any night of the week. YUM!

Jillian Manesh said...

yummmm yes please! xo jillian - cornflake dreams

Pixelhazard said...

Is it bad that my husband is a little too unco to eat cooked apples with the peel still on them? lol


X. Pixelhazard | Little Bright Green |

Diana Mieczan said...

You are so sweet, Katie:)

Diana Mieczan said...

Jillian:)

tutusandtea said...

Oooo how cozy! I love this variation on fall's sweetest treat... Will certainly add this to my recipe inspiration folder for post-apple picking! Happy October love!

Elin said...

Hello!

Your blog has caught our attention because of the quality of the recipes. We would be delighted if you would join us at http://www.everyrecipe.com.au/ so that we could link to them.

Everyrecipe is a search engine that compiles the best Austrailan cooking sites and blogs from the Internet. Several hundred blogs are already enrolled here and are taking benefit from the traffic we are sending to their sites.
To join Everyrecipe, just go to http://www.everyrecipe.com.au/add-your-food-blog

Cheers,
Elin
Everyrecipe.com.au

Diana Mieczan said...

Thanks, Elin:)

Diana Mieczan said...

tutusandtea, awww, thanks, lovely! Happy October to you too:)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

exPress-o All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk