On Togetherness...

Monday, September 30, 2013

Romantic relationships are a much talked about subject among friends. We give each other advice, we joke about the different habits, we tease the matching outfits some couples wear, but in all seriousness, we all cherish the togetherness two people share. It's a unique, very special and incredibly heart-warming bond two people create.

Well, the other day my friend and I had a coffee and out of the blue, she asked me to give her relationship advice: she's been in a tumultuous relationship for a couple of years, sometimes on and off, and now she's considering ending it - and she was waiting for me to nudge her one way or the other. That responsibility suddenly dawned on me, realising that she might actually make this big decision based on what I say next. I froze.

The reason was that I recently had this realization that every relationship is unique and different: what's worth it for me might not be worth it for somebody else; and also, we all have very different ideas about what a good relationship is, what relationship dynamics we are comfortable with; what expectations we have and how much we are willing to compromise. Eventually I told her what someone told me years ago: If it doesn't make you happy, make it work - but only if you care enough. Regroup and change it - or leave it and never look back

So on this gloomy Monday, here are a few of my favourite couples in love that ooze that special indescribable something on their own terms. Here is to togetherness no matter how traditional or untraditional it is :) 

Are you good at giving advice to your friends? What is the best relationship advice you ever got? How would you react to my friend's question? xo

P.S: How to stay happily married or have a great relationship?
P.P.S: Date-night moves:)

(Photos via/by dot coms for moms, Andrew Frederick, Katherine, Everyday I Show, Ryder Evans, Better Than Fine)

12 comments:

Chrissy said...

How wonderful and so true. Love all the couples you posted...so romantic. Happy Monday, dear xxx

Jana Miller @ 333 Days of Hand Lettering said...

It sounds like your friend already knows the answer. My man and I have been together for 25 years. It's possible, it's great and it's been hard fought for but its worth it! Love him now more than ever.

ilene @ muchloveilly said...

love all of these pictures. they make me happy. :)

Diana Mieczan said...

Totally romantic, indeed, Chrissy:) Happy Monday to you too.

Diana Mieczan said...

Jana, 25 years? Aww...That is so special and your comment melted my heart. Balazs and I are together over 12 years:)

Tiffany Kadani said...

so true. What is good for one couple isn't good for another. I love this, Diana.

skedian said...

I agree, if your friend had to ask, she probably already knew the answer. I wish her well!

Some funny advice I once got was to remember and accept that women feel connected through talking and men feel connected through sex! Not trying to oversimplify things, but sometimes both sides should be aware of what the other needs :)

Jillian Manesh said...

i try to give advice to my friends about guys but youre absolutely right what works for one couple wont work for another... it is SO interesting to see other couples together though, to see how they act with each other. what works for some people doesnt work for everyone. xo jillian - cornflake dreams

Nicole Marie said...

i love that advice. i need to remember that for the future

Diana Mieczan said...

I am so happy about that, Tiffany:)

Diana Mieczan said...

That is so interesting, skedian.

Diana Mieczan said...

Totally, Jillan:)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

exPress-o All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk