Hot Chocolate With Red Wine

Wednesday, September 4, 2013

I don't know how that happened, but for the past two days I’ve been nursing a cold. It must be the ever changing weather. Anyway, last night Balazs and I decided that it's time to get me back into shape. Instead of going for a cup of our usual remedy, we made hot chocolate with red wine. We weren't sure if this combo would work but it was so wonderfully soothing that we both couldn't get enough of it.  Cold or not, we found the perfect autumn drink. Thanks, Ella :)

To make two cups you will need 3 tsp. of unsweetened dark cocoa powder, 5 tsp. of brown sugar, 1/3 cup of your favourite red wine, 1 cup of milk and we also added a dash of cinnamon on top. 
 
This is how it goes: Bring wine to a simmer over low heat. Meanwhile in a bowl combine cocoa powder with sugar, add 2 or 3 tbsp. of milk and stir well to combine. When it's nicely combined add the rest of the milk, stir well and add over the wine. Bring to a boil while whisking from time to time. Pour into your serving cups and ta dah - enjoy!

Fancy a cuppa? What's your all-time favourite autumn drink?

P.S: Also, that autumn booster and this hot spiced apple and brandy autumn drink.
P.P.S: Plus the most irresistible autumn snack.

(Photos by Homecooking Adventure)

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Feel better soon Diana. My husband has a cold too, so I'll be trying this recipe tonight. But I'm also excited to try it myself. Two of my fave things combine in one - win! Jill.

Polly Rowan said...

This sounds a little strange but I really want to give it a try! I'm intrigued! x

Laura Bear said...

Wow i never would have thought of that but I bet it is good! I mean, who doesn't love wine and chocolate! :)

Marieken Hoefnagel said...

Yes, I would like a cuppa! Both (dark) chocolate and red wine should be good for your health, so you're actually drinking a very healthy drink there. Hope you'll be feeling better soon.

Katie said...

Aw! Feel better!!

Wow! I am totally trying red wine and hot chocolate this fall! Two of my favorite drinks! :)

Monica | Hola!design said...

Oh! I'm intrigued! I love to try new flavors, this sounds very rich and flavorful!
Hope you feel better.

Diana Mieczan said...

Jill, thank you. Hope your husband feels better soon too:)

Diana Mieczan said...

Totally, Laura:)

Diana Mieczan said...

Marieken Hoefnagel, thank you:) And you are so right...I didn't even realize how healthy this is:) Thanks!

Diana Mieczan said...

Thank you, Katie:)

Diana Mieczan said...

Polly, you're right. It shouldn't work but it really does:)

Corey Glenn@Colonial Spirits said...

Of course this mix would work! Chocolate and wine always do. Whether by matter of taste or healing effect. Red wine, if taken in decent amount, appears to be helpful to one's health, particularly to the heart. What more if coupled with the feel-good endorphins you get from eating chocolates. :D

Di said...

I love the taste of this, but how do you stop your milk from curdling (I THINK that's what's happening with mine)?

Diana Mieczan said...

Di, milk curdling usually happens when the milk is low fat. Somehow the lower the fat content of a dairy product, the greater possibility for curdling because there isn't enough fat to insulate the protein strands from one another. Heat causes them to intertvene. Try using a regular milk. Hope that helps:)

Di said...

Oh, thank you! I've been using 1% but I'll try a higher fat one next time!

Diana Mieczan said...

Di, my pleasure:)

Maria Kepler said...

Love the cup an saucer

Anonymous said...

Regarding the curdling issue...It has to do with the chemistry of adding wine (an acid) to milk. Think about how we can make buttermilk - adding lemon juice (an acid) to milk. Use water instead of milk and the curdling will not be an issue.

Anonymous said...

Boiling the wine kills the alcohol content. Just barely simmer over low, or use a crock pot.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

exPress-o All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk