Forget Multitasking, Try Monotasking

Tuesday, September 3, 2013


Are you a multitasker? Are you good at it? Frankly, I’m terrible at multitasking and I try to keep it to an absolute minimum since I tend to make more damage while juggling my balls than when I do things slower and in a calmer fashion. Having said that, the whole concept tents to be pretty mind-boggling to my multitasking friends who think I simply miss out on things by not trying to keep up. People aren’t just cooking anymore -they’re cooking, texting, talking on the phone, watching YouTube and uploading photos of the awesome meal they just made at the same time. So when I spotted Paolo Cardini monotasking TED talk, I literally gasped with relief. I’m not the only one that craves simplicity in this ever evolving world, am I?

So my mission for the rest of the year is to find my monotasking spot in this fast-paced, multitasking world. Are you a multitasker or a monotasker? If you could choose, which one would you be? xo

P.S: Do you get stressed?
P.P.S: Life lessons.

(Photos via Becycle, Marissa and Melissa)

9 comments:

Chic 'n Cheap Living said...

I think there is definitely a time for mono and multitasking. You're right though - sometimes people should pare down and focus and monotasking is needed!


xoxo,
Chic 'n Cheap Living

Tanvi said...

I have become a big advocator for mono-tasking in the past year or so. The only type of multi tasking I do is listening to music and cooking, or being on throne (restroom) and reading! Ha! (:

Melissa Blake said...

Thanks for the inspiration! I need to learn to slow down...which would make me more productive anyway!

lucent imagery said...

I'm a big believer in monotasking for necessity and desire. I need it because of my vision loss and I want it for simplicity. I like the focus and true enjoyment or quality output that comes from it. To me, monotasking is also important socially. To be fully WITH loved ones rather than looking at the phone.

Vintage Market Place said...

I am a big mulit-tasker
but not in the technology doing everything at once way but just in the mom, housekeeper, wife,life way.
If I didn't multi-task all day, i would lose so much free time at night with the family.
Amy

Diana Mieczan said...

Totally agree, Chic 'n Cheap Living

Diana Mieczan said...

Tanvi:)

Diana Mieczan said...

Brillianty said, lucent imagery!!!

Diana Mieczan said...

Amy, I totally agree. I also multitask when it comes to housekeeping...

Related Posts with Thumbnails

exPress-o All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk