Foodie Confessions: Eat Local, Eat Seasonal + How To Store Veggies And Fruits

Tuesday, September 10, 2013


New season new habits! A few days ago Balazs and I decided to make a handful of autumn changes to our eating habits and to the way we store and buy fresh veggies and fruits. The main reason for this is that in the past few years we noticed that we eat much healthier in spring and summer but as soon as the cold weather kicks in, we get a bit lazy and tend to go with comfort foods that are not necessarily as healthy as they could be. Is it the same with you?

For months I kept on hearing from everyone around me saying that I should ditch the last of my plastic containers or bags and switch to recycling cans and glass bottles. So yesterday that is exactly what I did. I got tons of baskets for the fridge to start grouping veggies by meals. My friend Megan told me that grouping veggies by meals makes life easier and helps in making healthier meal choices. Makes sense, doesn’t it?

I also, printed out this awesome list of how each and every veggie or fruits should be stored to extend its life to the fullest. Plus, I signed us up for our local veggie and fruit delivery box company. Starting with next week we’re getting a weekly selection of seasonal organic fruits and veggies that you can cook soups, stews and all the yummy autumn dishes with. This will take care of my excuse that I couldn’t make it to the farmers’ market that week:)
 

If you're curious, here are a few veggies and fruits in season this autumn and tips on how to store them:

- Apples can be stored on a cool counter or shelf for up to two weeks. For longer storage you should place them in a cardboard box in the fridge.
- Pears will keep for up to a few weeks on a cool counter. To hasten the ripening put an apple in with them.
- Cherries should be stored in an airtight container. Don’t wash cherries until ready to eat as any added  moisture encourages mold.
- Eggplant does fine left out in a cool room. Don’t wash it, eggplant doesn’t like any extra moisture around its leaves.
- Tomatoes should never be refrigerated. Depending on ripeness, tomatoes can stay for up to two weeks on the counter. To hasten ripeness place in a paper bag with an apple.
- Zucchini does fine for a few days if left out on a cool counter, even after cut but if you wrap in a cloth and put it in the refrigerater it will  last for longer.
- Sweet Potatoes should be stored in a cool, dark, well ventilated place. Never refrigerate, since sweet potatoes don’t like the cold.
- Brussels Sprouts if bought on the stalk, leave them on that stalk. Put the stalk in the fridge or leave it on a cold place. If they’re bought loose, store them in an open container with a damp towel on top.

So darlings, fancy joining in? What's your favourite autumn fruits and veggies? Have you ever tried organic delivery companies? xo

P.S: And this superfood mocktail.
P.P.S: Vegan before 6pm?

(Photos by Fritz Haeg, Ryan Liebe, Whole Larder Love and via Indulgy)

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, I eat way too much pasta and bread in winter and fall since it's very comforting but sadly not very healthy. I have no experience with ordered food-boxed so I am very interested to hear how you find them. Will you write about it?

Diana Mieczan said...

Anonymous, same here....Pasta and bread used to be our go-to autumn foods of comfort:) Btw: yes, I will totally post about it.

Monica | Hola!design said...

I love the idea of keeping your veggies in a basket inside the fridge. I'm too trying to get rid of my plastic containers!

skedian said...

Those veggie storage tips are great - I am embarrassed at how much food I end up throwing out because it has gone off before I use it :( Also, your post about VB6 has intrigued me SO much. I'm ready to revamp my eating! Thanks as always for finding the gems of the world to share with us :) xx

lisa said...

yup like our wardrobes every year needs a change......thanks for the tips etc and a great idea storing in meal groups smooch hope your having a fab week xx

Becky Kozak said...

That list is awesome, and I never thought of baskets for produce before, interesting!

xo Becky
Seductive Mania

Diana Mieczan said...

Monica, the baskets idea makes the fridge look so organized and healthy:)

Diana Mieczan said...

My pleasure, skedian! Btw: I'm planning to start the VB6 for a month in October. It makes so much sense and I really want to see how it will change the way I eat or feel.

Diana Mieczan said...

So right, Lisa! I love what you said.

tiffany said...

i LOVE the baskets in the fridge!!

Diana Mieczan said...

tiffany, they are very handy too.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

exPress-o All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk