Our Malta Trip (with photos)

Tuesday, August 6, 2013

As I promised, here are a few photos of our trip to Malta. Have you ever been? We chose Malta because of its understated vacation spot status. It’s one of those places that are still pretty new to tourists and because of that it still feels very pure and untouched. To be honest, we consciously haven't read too much about the island beforehand as we wanted to explore it day by day in an organic fashion.

Balazs and I arrived pretty late Thursday evening and as soon as we exited the tiny plane, the hot and humid air totally caught us by surprise. We stayed in one of the two tourist-friendly areas of the island called Qawra/Bugibba - a beautiful seaside town near St. Paul’s Bay. Our hotel was just 2 minutes walk from the sea with plenty of private and public beaches. All of Malta's beaches besides one are stone/rock beaches but there are a few with very fine rocks that resemble a sand-like texture.
Our neighbourhood had tons of little alleys full of cafes and seafood restaurants on one side and ports and seashore on the other side.

On the first day Balazs challenged me to try the fish spa. Have you ever heard of it? It’s like a food massage and a pedicure in one where tiny fish clean and massage your feet for 15 minutes. For the first 30 second I couldn’t stop giggling because it felt super weird but after that, it felt amazing and my feet ended up smooth as a baby’s bottom:)

The same night we took a bus all the way to a dreamy little village called Zebbug where the locals celebrated a summer religious festival with a street band, a concert, Maltase food trucks and a beautiful display of fireworks. It was magical to walk around the local church and the little streets full of festive spirit.

We even had a chance to catch a breather in the backyard of a little church (photo above). It felt like a secret garden.


After a day on the land we went for a whole day on an old and beautiful Maltese style sailing boat. We got a package that included sailing on the sea, popping into little lagoons along the way, visiting the island of Gozo, swimming in the most clear and beautifully blue water ever, jumping to the sea straight from the boat, sunbathing on the deck, visiting caves and taking a few-hour stop at the mind-blowingly stunning Blue Lagoon on the Island of Comino.

It’s one of the tiniest and most crowded places ever, but a must see for sure. The water is warm, salty, refreshing and the scenery is like out of a postcard. Plus, there is a little food truck that serves the freshest prawns and salmon baguettes that we couldn’t get enough of.


As soon as we arrived, all the locals we met told us that no trip to Malta can be complete without a visit to the capital city called Valletta. They were right. It’s a tiny town sitting on the top of a rock surrounded by water.

The little streets/alleys are very tiny, super long and mostly with tons of stairs. People there must be very fit since they are jogging up and down all the time. We visited a few museums and just strolled around the place. I kept of snapping photos of the beautiful buildings, blooming flowers (that to my surprise keep so fresh in such a warm climate) and lazy cats that are very friendly. Balazs said those cats must be following us, since we kept on spotting them everywhere.
On the same night, just when we were about to catch a bus back to the hotel we noticed a man in a gondola type of boat who offered to take us on a ride around the city. The boat looked like a rainbow coloured fisherman's boat. The views were swoonworthy, he happily showed off his city full of beautiful rock formations and we got a treat that we will remember for a very long time.


One of my favourite things we did each morning was eating crepe in a local cafĂ©. We also enjoyed strolling down the shoreline during the evenings, eating ice cream or sitting on the rocks with a cup of coffee. It was such a perfect finish to a hot day to sit there and listen to the sounds of water.

A few fun facts:
- The whole Malta island resembles the shape of a fish (the pilot proudly informed us)
- To swim in the sea you need swimming shoes since the sea bottom is rock based. You can get those shoes in every shop by the beach. They are super inexpensive.
- The whole island is only 120 sq. miles or 316 sq. km with fantastic public transportation. A whole day bus ticket is only 2.60 euros.
- Everyone speaks English
- If you're there, you should totally try the Goza goat cheese, Maltese sausages, all the fresh seafood you can find and a dish called Hobz biz-zejt.
- The most wonderful thing about the locals is that each evening they all come out of their flats and set up grills on the seashore. They grill freshly caught fish with veggies while chatting away. We got the feeling that they all lead very relaxed and fulfilled lives:)
- And lastly, our favourite restaurant in Malta is called Victoria on Bay Square in Bugibba.

Hope you enjoyed the recap:) If you have any other questions about it, please let me know. What do you think about Malta? Would you go? xo

P.S: Plus, a few other travel lusts.
P.P.S: And this little nifty trick I learned from a Maltese man:)

(Photos by Balazs and I for exPress-o)

35 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved reading your trips sum-up. My dream is to spend next summer in Europe visiting all the beautiful countries full of history. After this recap I'm putting malta on my to see list. I usually don't comment but I read your blog daily and I just wanted to tell you how beautiful you look in those photos.

Elsa de Diego said...

Oh, darling! It was such a treat to read about your trip. What a nice post. And also, you look gorgeous with those sun glasses. I am so glad to know you guys had such a great time. Good for u! :) Xo,

Martie @ Spunkyrella said...

First of all I pinned one of those lovely images onto my Going Places pinboard (properly linked of course), then I really need you to stop to pick my brain, seriously :)

I fantasized about trips to Rome, Amsterdam and Malta and you got them all covered on here on exPress-o. It´s spooky :)

When I read coffee and seafood, saw the blue sea and the even more blue sky and read relaxed lifestyle I was pretty much sold - must have been a great trip!

I also love that image of you with that huuuge sunglasses, I am the exact same way - the bigger, the better!!

Welcome back though you´ve never been really gone! Mwah

Just Another Shopaholic said...

These are such gorgeous photos! I have to visit here!!

Vintage Market Place said...

This sounds like a very relaxing place. It seems they really know how to enjoy life there.
Very cool of you to share with us. Its neat getting to see some of your personal life :)
Bet it was hard to come home.
Amy

Diana Mieczan said...

Aww..thank you, Anonymous:) You just made me *blush*

Diana Mieczan said...

Thanks, Elsa:)Glad you enjoyed the post. We had a blast:)

That's Not My Age said...

Looks like you had a fantastic time. I thought Valetta was gorgeous when I was there - I liked its shabby elegance.

Diana Mieczan said...

Muah, Martie:) You are so lovely and I am so glad that I packed those sunglasses with me. There were very needed. Malta is super sunny:)

Diana Mieczan said...

Amy, we are still in London visiting my mom. We are catching a flight home on Friday. Btw: so happy you enjoyed the post:)

Diana Mieczan said...

That's Not My Age, you are so right - "shabby elegance" - Spot on!

Steph said...

The color of that sea is stunning!!

Laura Bear said...

WOW what a trip! It looks absolutely stunning. And that fish foot massage is something I have got to try! So silly and cool!
gorgeous pics!

Annie said...

How beautiful! I'm glad you had such an amazing trip. I really want to try that fish foot massage!

Jessica said...

These pictures are just dreamy. It looks like you had an amazing vacation.

Tracy @ Sunny Days and Starry Nights
Crate & Barrel $140 Gift Card Giveaway

Monica | Hola!design said...

So pretty! I'm glad you and Balazs enjoyed it. I love your pictures!

lauren jean allece said...

Oh, Diana! I could have just dissolved into these photos, they are so beautiful! I've wanted to go to Malta since high school (I used to keep a picture of it on a "travel board" above my desk in college)! This looks like a dream of a vacation - I'll definitely be pinning this for my travel guide whenever I do finally go!

bethan said...

I love Malta! We went for the first time this year, and it's such an easy going holiday spot (plus it has good weather all year around - I like to take my trips when the weather in the UK isn't so good!). I'm definitely planning to go back (multiple times) in the future and explore the island more!

Krystal said...

i LOVED these photos! malta has such a special place in my heart, you are so right about it being understated....but it has been one of my favorites! we spent the most time in gozo but we did do the blue lagoon boat trip! here are my fave pics from there if you are interested! http://www.avillagetown.com/2012/06/favorite-pictures-from-malta.html

Diana Mieczan said...

Steph, I still can't stop thinking about it. The water was so amazingly refreshing and wonderful.

Diana Mieczan said...

Thanks, Laura:)The fish spa was so funny and so wonderful in the same time. A must try for sure!

Diana Mieczan said...

Jessica:)

Diana Mieczan said...

Thanks, Monica and Lauren, you will love Malta:) It's a dreamy little spot!

Diana Mieczan said...

Bethan, how cool! Yes, the weather is wonderful and we would love to go back too:)

Diana Mieczan said...

Krystal, thanks for the link. Your photos are so pretty and Gozo was wonderful.

Jaime @ La vie...J'aime said...

great shots! looks like a beautiful place. the fish pedi is interesting- i dont think i could do it..so ticklish!

Diana Mieczan said...

Very ticklish indeed, Jamie:)

Tiffany Kadani said...

Gah! Such amazing photos!!!! I want more photos of you. Always!

Mary Jo @trustyourstyle said...

Wow it looks amazing! My dad's mentor and friend was an amazing guy from Malta, who donated the stones in the United Nations fountains from Malta. I have always wanted to go! Love that fish pedicure :) I hope you had a wonderful time, sounds like you did!

xo Mary Jo

Diana Mieczan said...

Aww..Tiffany:) xoxo

Diana Mieczan said...

How wonderful, Mary Jo! We had a blast. It's a wonderful place.

Punctuation Mark said...

I'm so jealous of your trip... It looks so beautiful and the perfect place to relax and get away. Glad you had such a great time!

Diana Mieczan said...

Thank you, Punctuation Mark:) Aww..you are so sweet.

Lady Grey said...

Looks like an amazing trip!

Lady Grey said...

ps: I've loved all your posts while you were away, I wanted to comment so many times!
xo

Related Posts with Thumbnails

exPress-o All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk