Ode to Homemade Soft Pretzels

Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Some days are simply made for soft, buttery pretzels and as much as I tried to deny it, the craving just sneaked up on me without a warning. After a whole weekend of daydreaming about homemade pretzels, I finally gave in on Monday morning and made a whole batch. It’s funny because no matter whom you ask 'fancy a pretzel?' most people will say 'yea sure, thanks' and continue on telling you their rather hilarious or embarrassing childhood pretzel related story. We all have one, don’t we? Some involve boys or movies, but one thing for sure: pretzels will always make you thirsty as Kramer pointed out in Seinfeld :) Remember that episode? George's interpretation was my favourite:)

Oh, pretzels, you are soft, chewy, comforting, familiar, underestimated and loveable. Thank you for Monday :) Lovelies when was the last time you had a proper soft pretzel?

And if you fancy making some tonight, here is the recipe:

Soft Pretzels
(Makes 6 smaller or 4 bigger. Recipe adapted from Jeannie Yee via Rachel - Elephantine)

Ingredients:
* ¾ cup warm water (110°F)
* 1 ¼ tsp of active dry yeast
* 1 tbsp brown sugar
* ½ tsp salt
* 2 cups all-purpose flour
* 1 cup warm water (110°F)
* 2 tbsp baking soda (for soaking)
* ½ tbsp butter, melted
* coarse kosher salt
 
First things first, pour ¾ cup warm water into a mixing bowl. Dissolve yeast, brown sugar, and salt into the water and then stir in the flour. When the mixture comes together, dump onto a floured surface and knead for about 5-6 minutes or until smooth. Pour a few drops of olive oil into the mixing bowl; place the dough in, cover the bowl with a tea towel and let it rise for 1 hour. When the dough is ready, cut it into 6 pieces and roll each piece into ½ inch thick ropes. Shape the pretzels by forming a U, then twist the ends and flip it over onto itself, gently pressing the overlapping dough to seal. Next, let it rest and rise for 15 minutes. In the meantime, fill a bowl with 1 cup of warm water and add baking soda. Make sure to stir well. Next, soak each pretzel for 30 seconds, flipping over halfway through if not fully submerged. Place each on parchment-lined baking sheet and brush with melted butter and sprinkle coarse salt over the top. Bake at 450°F for 10-18 minutes or until golden brown. Ta dah!

P.S: And here are a few more of my favourite recipes.
P.P.S: Plus, this caramel candy recipe and the scrumptious autumn booster.

(Photos and layout by exPress-o)

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

The smell of pretzels reminds me of old movies and shopping malls. I used to eat them by picking out the salt first. Those were the day.

-Ola

skedian said...

Mmmm, these look incredible! I remember eating them as a kid and dipping them into cheese sauce (bright orange processed stuff!) So bad, but soooo good! Will have to try this recipe!

Nicole Underwood said...

OH MAN. I want all of those IN MY MOUTH!! YUMM!!!!

Tiffany Kadani said...

A few weeks ago I had one. It was divine. And now I want all the pretzels!!!!

Diana Mieczan said...

Ola, great memories:)

Diana Mieczan said...

skedian, oh I so remember cheese sauce. I LOVED it too:) Giggle.

Diana Mieczan said...

Nicole:) Wish I could invite you over for some pretzels today.

Polly Rowan said...

ooh yum! I dont think theyre so popular in the UK but stills in shopping malls have started selling them. I love them with cinnamon and sugar coating! and they have to be warm. mmm. great pictures too x

Laura Bear said...

OK I am totally trying it this weekend. We have a long weekend, so some baking is in order!!

Diana Mieczan said...

Oh Polly, yes! I love them warm too and now I am craving a cinnamon and sugar pretzel:)

Diana Mieczan said...

Totally true, Laura! Long weekends = baking in my home too:)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

exPress-o All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk