How to Tell If an Egg is Fresh

Thursday, August 22, 2013

A long time ago my dad told me the classic spinning trick to check if my hard-boiled eggs cooked well. Do you know that one? I used to love spinning them on a flat surface and checking if they wobble or not.

Anyway, just last night I learned another one. This time to check how fresh and safe your eggs are.  It’s brilliantly easy and it gives you that wonderful confirmation that you're using a great fresh product.

Here is how it goes: Drop an egg into water. If it sinks, it’s fresh - perfect for poaching and soufflés. If it stays submerged with its wide end up, it’s older but good for most uses. If it floats, toss it and get a new batch.

P.S: Also, how to poach an egg using a poacher and how to make the perfectly runny dippy eggs.
P.P.S: And this totally genius trick!

(Tip via Bon Appétit. Photo by Peden + Munk)


Anonymous said...

I learn something new on your blog daily. Thank you. This is a very good tip. Love, Amy

Diana Mieczan said...

Awww...Amy! xoxo

Related Posts with Thumbnails

exPress-o All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk