A Restless Transplant

Monday, August 5, 2013




Would you be brave enough to leave everything behind and travel? I mean literally everything, like your job, flat and friends? That is exactly what Foster Huntington did a bit over 2 years ago. In 2011 he quit his concept designer position at Ralph Lauren in New York to explore North America in a 1987 VW Vanagon Syncto. Incredible, isn't it?

When Balazs and I were stuck in Frankfurt waiting for our transit flight I spent a big chunk of that time getting a total road trip bug while ah-ing or oh-ing over Foster's travels that he documents on his brilliant photoblog. There is something so utterly amazing and carefree about spending a few years waking up in the most unusual places from camp sites, tree hammocks to sandy beaches or even the middle of a desert, but always somewhere beautiful, mesmerizing and new. I bet that every single day feels like a beginning of an adventure. What do you think? xo

P.S: If you fancy a better look of his trip, check out his Instagram or his tumblr but be prepared to get a total travel lust:)
P.P.S: How about travelling solo? Plus, would you be game for a grown up gap year?

(via Wolf Eyebrows)

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wish I had the guts to do this. I've always wanted to travel the world.

Diana Mieczan said...

Oh me too, Anonymous! What a dream, isn't it?

Rachel @ Existation said...

Uuuugh, thanks a lot, now I can't stop looking at this blog and mentally dying with major wanderlust. One question, though...does he ever explain how he is able to afford not working for so long? I suppose having a lucrative job with Ralph Lauren and being able to save up a ton of money probably doesn't hurt...=]

Becky Kozak said...

Oh my gosh thanks for sharing! Right now the boyfriend and I are saving our pennies to buy a 4wd to tour around Australia in! (I think the worst part is, that we won't be able to bring it back to my home, Canada!!) These photos are so inspiring!

xo Becky
Seductive Mania

Melissa Blake said...

Not sure i'd have the courage to do it, but it looks amazing!

Vintage Market Place said...

some days I would love to run away from it all and sell my wares across the states whilst seeing the land. Then I snap out of it and realize my son needs constant care from drs and therapy. But it sure would be fun not to have and strings attaching us and holding us back.
Amy

Anonymous said...

yes i would do , i stuch in city where i live for years travling and see the world cant be that bad

Bionica said...

oh my
he is absolutely fabulous!!!
it takes a lot to get up and travel like that
I commend him for doing becuase it is just the best!!!
great pictures =)

-Bionica

HelloSweetcheeks said...

I'm WAY too chicken to try such a thing! But I so admire people who do it. His images are breathtaking!!

Diana Mieczan said...

Rachel, you are probably right. I bet he had to save money for a while to be able to travel for such a long time. Btw: yup, I also can't stop lusting over his blog....It's just so dreamy.

Diana Mieczan said...

Becky, that is so AWESOME!!! That will be such an adventure.

Diana Mieczan said...

Amy, I love your comment....

Diana Mieczan said...

Anonymous :)

Diana Mieczan said...

Bionica, you are so right!

Diana Mieczan said...

HelloSweetcheeks, I am swooning over his photos as well:)

tiffany said...

we did just that, we left our company, our belongings we sold, our friends, everything, and traveled for a year in a 73 airstream we restored. we love being on the road, we could do it for so much longer but would try the vw van style next, simpler, smaller (although our airstream was a tiny one), and lighter. it's so worth it!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

exPress-o All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk