Travel Lust: Rome, Italy

Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Have you ever been to Rome? This morning I received a text from a friend who is on a holiday there right now saying that she already ate her weight in pasta and rich chocolate gelato despite walking non-stop for the past 3 days. She even has a blister to prove it :) That little note not only made me crave a good portion of Spaghetti Aglio e Oglio but also got me thinking about this mesmerizing place. Oh just imagine taking a stroll down those narrow stone-paved streets to the Trevi Fountain or the grand Colosseum. And how nice would it be to spend an evening sitting in one of those little family run pizza places while drinking red wine, listening to Italian chatter aka music to my ears and getting utterly lost in the twinkling lights of this one-of-a-kind spot.

Fun fact: Can you guess how much money gets tossed each year to the famous Trevi Fountain? Well, according to the City of Rome, nearly a whopping €700,000 worth of coins gets tossed in each year. Yozwa! The awesome part is that all the proceeds are donated to Caritas to help the needy.

P.S: Remember Positano or Venice?
P.P.S: Plus the dreamy Isola della Gaiola!

(Photos by/via Stunning Picz, Ulla, Raffaele, Joe Boyle)

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

The whole Italy is on my bucket list since we only managed to stay in Venice for one day last year. Rome looks incredible.

gina said...

I have been to Rome but it was almost 15 years ago! My husband and I are heading there August 1st for a few days - cannot wait!!

Diana Mieczan said...

We adore Venice as well, Anonymous! Btw: I would love to take a trip around the whole Italy - that would be amazing, wouldn't it?

Diana Mieczan said...

How awesome, Gina! Have fun:)

Chic 'n Cheap Living said...

I'd love to have a gelato by Trevi Fountain. Ahh some day!


xoxo,
Chic 'n Cheap Living

Jana Miller @ 333 Days of Hand Lettering said...

I'm going.....it may be a year away but I need that much time to plan it all out. 25 years of marriage is a thing to celebrate!

little t said...

I really really REALLY want to go to Italy this Summer. After reading this post, I need to make it happen x

Jacqueline Howett said...

Wow! Amazing photos! Europe is wonderful, isn't it? :)

LyddieGal said...

Rome is such a beautiful city! i would love to go back!
Chic on the Cheap

Reena said...

Rome is always amazing. I've visited several times and it never disappoints. I make sure I toss a coin in the Trevi fountain. Nothing better than Italian gelato (Chocolate hazelnut) and sitting on the Spanish Steps people watching. From Milano and Lake Como, Venice, Firenze, Ravello, Positano, Capri. Oh, so many places to revisit. If you visit Capri, make sure to visit the Blue Grotto.

Lela said...

I've been to Rome twice, it's the most beautiful city I've visited so far. But I have to disappoint you, the Trevi Fountain is a touristy mess. There's a reason why pictures of the fountain are always very close up since the place is packed with hundreds of tourists. But the rest of the city is gorgeous and has the most amazing atmosphere.

Punctuation Mark said...

there's no other city like it... I wish to go back there like in a Fellini movie! have you ever seen Fellini's Roma? such a great movie about what the city is.

Relydesign said...

"listening to Italian chatter aka music to my ears" ;D u made me smile!! now that i am abroad i really miss Italy, and my hometown Verona!!!

Martie @ Spunkyrella said...

You really read my mind don´t you?! ;)

I was thinking about a weekend trip just by myself to a European city nearby - only one rule - it has to be a city I´ve never been to! Though I love Barcelona and Madrid I want to explore new grounds. Right now it´s down to Rome and Amsterdam - we´ll see ;)

Diana Mieczan said...

Jana, indeed! Oh boy, huge congrats on 25 years! That is amazing.

Diana Mieczan said...

little t, :)

Diana Mieczan said...

Totally, Jacqueline:)

Diana Mieczan said...

Your comment made me swoon, Reena! I will bookmark all the cities you mentioned for future travels. Thank you:) Psst: I am totally craving chocolate-hazelnut gelato right now:)

Diana Mieczan said...

Lela, thanks for the tip!

Diana Mieczan said...

I haven't, Punctuation Mark but I totally will now. Thanks for the recommendation, sweetie.

Diana Mieczan said...

Relydesign, :)

Diana Mieczan said...

Great idea, Martie!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

exPress-o All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk