Too-lateness

Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Lately I've been thinking about the world. It moves so fast that many of us can't even keep up and we always feel like we are behind and trying to catch up. People get anxious and stressed that they haven't achieved enough by the time they are 30 or 40, can't comply with the 'general norm'. And by setting our eyes on future goals, future happiness, our overall fulfilment and the path we need to take to achieve it, we compromise our today. We don't allow ourselves to do things on our own time because we just simply don't want to be too late to catch our chance in life. But this way we will always miss today...

So here is a quote that I spotted a few days ago and it might just save the to-day in us:

'Too-lateness, I realized, has nothing to do with age. It's a relation of self to the moment. Or not, depending on the person and the moment. Perhaps there even comes a time when it's no longer too late for anything. Perhaps, even, most times are too early for most things, and most of life has to go by before it's time for almost anything and too late for almost nothing. Nothing to lose, the present moment to gain, the integration with long-delayed Now.'

It's from Russell Hoban's novel entitled Turtle Diary. Have you read it? Thoughts? xo

P.S: Here is more on being fully present in the moment.
P.P.S: And the one piece of advice you wish you'd been given.

(Photos via A Well Traveled Woman, quote via even*cleveland)

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

You read my mind and you always know the right thing to post about. Lately I've been struggling with this exact thing. Am I too late for things, did I miss my chance? Now I know the answer and I like it.

Cam Agnes said...

such moving words, indeed! I'm all for it.. we all gotta take our time and these crazy, fast moving age! xo

Vintage Market Place said...

It is hard to be leisurely in life with technology as fast as it is. Everyone is running a mile a minute and trying to stay up with everyones life rather than unplugging and going at our own pace that our own bodies can handle. We gotta know,gotta do that,just to post and say we did it first. Crazy. I will go slow and enjoy the time i have.
Amy

Elsa de Diego said...

This quote is so inspiring. I never though about it that way. I know how that kind of pressure feels like, but the moment I turned 30 I stopped putting myself deadlines. I recommend you a book 'How Will You Measure Your Life?' :) Muah!

Katie said...

I fall into this trap from time to time, especially when I'm starting a new project and I'm feeling overwhelmed over everything I need to do. When I get really blue and depressed by it, I try to think about the good things I have in my life. A loving husband and family, great friends, eating really well, a beautiful apartment. It helps chase those thoughts away.

LyddieGal said...

I know that feeling. that too-late feeling. gosh, i wish I could feel early.

Rachel Elizabeth said...

At 26 sometimes I feel like I have done nothing but I try to remind myself that somethings are worth waiting for.

Mary Jo @trustyourstyle said...

I really love this and it sounds like Turtle Diary might be something I want to read. I feel a lot of pressure from everyone all the time to do more, come to their workout classes, show up for events for a million different product lines, design more stuff, etc etc...there's only so much time in the day and whenever I can let go of the feeling of being pressured, then it's so much easier to actually show up.

Glad not I'm not the only one who's always feeling a little "late"..xo Mary Jo

Diana Mieczan said...

Anonymous, you are so sweet. Thank you for your wonderful comment.

Diana Mieczan said...

Amy, me too!!!!

Diana Mieczan said...

Thanks for that, Elsa. I will totally read it.

Diana Mieczan said...

Katie, that is a great way to stay positive and happy:) I love that!

Diana Mieczan said...

So true, Rachel - "somethings are worth waiting for"

Diana Mieczan said...

Mary Jo, Turtle Diary is a fantastic book. I totally recommend it.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

exPress-o All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk