Amsterdam: Dutch Gable Flat or Canal Houseboat?

Thursday, July 18, 2013


Last night, Balazs and I were daydreaming about living in Amsterdam. We treated ourselves to a glass of wine and spent the night browsing through Amsterdam rental listings, just for fun. As more and more beautiful places popped up, we found ourselves torn between the traditional Dutch gable flats above, or one of those adorable canal houseboats below. Balazs is leaning more towards a flat, since you get a better view and more space. But I am loving the idea of waking up to the sound of water and little ducks swimming by. Fingers crossed one of them would stop by for a quick hello:)

So, just for fun, imagine that you could live in Amsterdam for the summer. Which accommodation would you choose: a canal flat or a houseboat? I can't wait to hear what you think. xo

P.S: Going Dutch (and Danish).
P.P.S: Plus, those tiny houses on tiny islands:)

(Photos via/by Tom, Paisajes, Kimberley Coole, Things Melissa Makes, A Teaspoon of Happiness, Pia Jane Bijkerk, Y. Peter Lee, Space for Inspiration)

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd love to stay in a boathouse but the only worry I have is safety. I wonder if it's as safe as a regular apartment. What a fun post. Jill

Rita said...

I would love to try houseboat..:)
I'm going to catch up your latest posts, I haven't been here for ages!
xoxo
Rita

Hannah Q. Parris said...

The houseboats are so romantic. :)

Simply Bellezza (Em Weiss) said...

What beautiful imagery! I think I would love the experience of being on a houseboat. That sounds so divine right now! =)

Carrie said...

i totally LOVE this post!!! i would love to try living at a boathouse, but i'm such a clumsy person, i'll probably be falling all over, which is no good since i'll be living in water!!! Aaahhhh, haha. I really like the looks of the Dutch flat. ;)

:)
Carrie
http://readmylifeascarrie.blogspot.com/

LyddieGal said...

Ohhh yes please! I am kind of liking the boat myself, can you just imagine having your own little rooftop garden on your houseboat? being able to on a little trip down the canal? eating tons of goat cheese?
Chic on the Cheap

Diana Mieczan said...

Jill, I think it's petty safe:)

Diana Mieczan said...

Rita, missed you:)

Diana Mieczan said...

So true, Hannah:)

Diana Mieczan said...

Carrie, I loved reading your comment:) Made me smile.

Diana Mieczan said...

Awww..sounds perfect, Lyddie!

little t said...

I'd go for the flat. The houseboat would be cool for a vacation.

And is this a serious idea? That would be awesome!

Diana Mieczan said...

little t, I wish...:) Maybe one day..

Lisa Edward said...

Thanks for sharing this informative article
Kerala house boat

Related Posts with Thumbnails

exPress-o All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk