The Business of Travel Food

Thursday, June 6, 2013

In a few weeks Balazs and I are going to Malta. The trouble is, it will be a very long flight with layovers, bad plane food, crowded airports and all that jazz. Nevertheless, I’m ready for a bit of sunshine somewhere beautiful and to make sure that our long journey will be more enjoyable (and not spoiled by crappy food and stomach aches) I’ve decided to make my own plane food in advance. Previously I had a habit of bringing only clementines since they are very refreshing and smell so good.

Anyway, I started to look around for some inspirations and I stumbled upon Sarah's super healthy list of homemade travel foods that look beyond scrumptious, wouldn’t you say? She is incredible when it comes to things like that! I especially love the idea of mango cashew bites and the bean dip is always a yes in my book.  

So, since I've never done anything like that before, I'd love to know what you think. Do you pack your own food while on voyage or is it simply too fussy? Any homemade-travel-recipes or tips? Any advice will be totally appreciated. Thank you! xo

P.S: Fancy trying those recipes? Here are all the how-to's:)
P.P.S: Off-season holiday?

(Photo and layout by My New Roots)

11 comments:

Vintage Market Place said...

How fun. Good luck on that long flight.
But yes since we have such allergies to foods we have to be sure to always pack our own foods for travel or even just a day out about town. No fast foods or processed foods.
It is so much better and our bodies love good fresh foods.
Amy

Christianna said...

I think this will be a fun experiment! You'll have to let us know how it goes! I tend to take jerky and granola bars with me on planes!

designgirl said...

I've taken to traveling with these go picnic snack boxes. No worries about refrigeration and so easy.
http://www.gopicnic.com/GoPicnic-Meals_2

Ethaney said...

i am so excited for your trip! that sounds incredible :) please take lots and lots of pics. i can't wait to see!

Jana Miller said...

What a great idea-I never have thought to take more than nuts on the plane!Jana @ 333 Days of Hand Lettering

skedian said...

Airline food is so terrible (except for Singapore Airlines who actually make great meals!), but I never take more than a few snacks on the plane for the kids. One tip I have is to avoid anything that smells strongly. Leave the curry chicken or aged French cheese at home. You might love it, but your fellow passengers might not! :) Have a fab trip! Malta sounds romantic!

Diana Mieczan said...

Amy, yup! fresh, good food is always much better:)

Diana Mieczan said...

Oh, I LOVE granola bars, Christianna! I so need to make some:)

Diana Mieczan said...

I'll take tons of photos for sure, Ethaney. I'll also share the whole trip on the blog:)

Diana Mieczan said...

That is a spot on tip, skedian!!! Thank you:)

Diana Mieczan said...

They sound lovely, designgirl. I'll check them out. Thanks for the link.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

exPress-o All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk