The Anti-Worry Mantra

Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Are you a worrier? Does your mind get overwhelmed with if's, should have's and maybe's? Till recently that was me! In a funny way, it always started off with a little-tiny worry about a very insignificant minor detail and over the course of the day it escalated till it completely overtook my whole mind. Can you relate?

Anyway, about two months ago I read an article in Red Magazine with this nifty little tip from Martin and Marian Shirran's book and it totally changed my thought-process on worrying. Here it is:

'A thought can only take up as much space in your head as you allow it' 

Brilliantly simple, isn't it? Martin and Marian suggest saying this mantra to yourself anytime you feel like your worry is starting to escalate and by repeating it you will stop your brain from allowing the thought to build up.

For example, you might worry about a work project that you have just finished since you noticed that your boss wasn't too impressed with it. Normally, you will go home and start worrying about all the little details you might have done wrong or should have changed and by the end of the night you'll convince yourself that you'll loose your job, get reprimanded or even be removed from the project itself. But for real, your boss was probably just grumpy because of something else. Instead, just repeat that mantra for a few times till your brain calms down and moves on with your day...

It works like a charm on me! Would you try it? What are your anti-worry tricks? xo

P.S: Here is a fun little article to find out what type of worrier are you.
P.P.S: And here are a few tips on how to cope with stress.

(Photo by Theron Humphrey via Modern Hepburn)

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I worry all the time. It's in my genes since my mother is a big worrier too. I often find myself thinking why do I bother to worry so much but I hope your tip will help. Thank you. Jill

erinkathleen said...

wow, I really needed to read this this morning! I could've used this mantra last night! I worry all the time about how little interactions (even single words) affect/reflect me - even days later I dwell on them. But so often, I forget what might be causing the other person to act the way they do. This mantra is a nice reminder that the only thing I can truly control is how much I allow a situation to affect me. Trying it today!!

P.S. the photo above is originally by Theron Humphrey (http://thiswildidea.com). It was posted in his Instagram feed!

Ethaney said...

i'm a huge worrier, stresser, overthinker, over analyzer so this is very useful for me. especially because things are SUPER stressful/hectic right now with the move! thanks for this timely tip :D

Vintage Market Place said...

Oh Diana you hit the nail on the head. The biggest worrier out there. I just dropped my son at school and I will worry all day until I see his face when I pick him up. Ugh. It so tears our bodies up to worry. I am glad you have found a way that helps and I will definitely give it a whril :)
Hugs
Amy

bethan said...

What a lovely concept. It is true though, things only take up as much space as you allow them too (although if you already worry it can be hard to pull things back in line sometimes) - when I have a worry I will often find myself saying 'stop' if I start worrying too much!

LyddieGal said...

I am a big worrier. I hope this works!
Chic on the Cheap

Diana Mieczan said...

Jill, I hope it will help and btw: my mom is a worrier too...hmm...maybe that is why I am one too:)

Diana Mieczan said...

Erin, thanks so much for telling me who took that photo. I just updated the post with the link. When I spotted the image, I had the feeling it might be Maddie:) Btw: I really love your note and I think this little manta will really help you out. Good luck!

Diana Mieczan said...

My pleasure, Ethaney and good luck with the move, sweetie!

Diana Mieczan said...

Amy, you are so right: 'It so tears our bodies up to worry' Spot on!

Diana Mieczan said...

Bethan, you're right, sometimes it's very hard to pull the worry back but hopefully next time we can react in time:)It's a learning process, I think.

Diana Mieczan said...

Lyddie, it really does:)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

exPress-o All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk