Swedish Midsummer Celebrations

Tuesday, June 25, 2013



Have you heard about Swedish Midsummer celebrations? It’s one of those beautiful old traditions that I would love to take part in since it looks so utterly swoonworthy! Not to mention that after spotting Brittany’s photos this morning, I seem to be in a dreamy mood ever since. Well, who can blame me, since it’s a day where girls pick daisies, wear flowy white dresses, eat boiled new potatoes topped with fresh dill and red onion, make head wreaths and take part in the Maypole celebration ring-dance.

Once a Swedish friend told me that when she was little her mom always told her that according to the legend, the night before Midsummer’s Day is a magical time for love. Also, there is a tradition that on the night after the festivities and on their way home, women should pick seven different flowers and lay them under their pillows so that at night their future husband can appear to them in a dream. Fascinating, isn’t it? Would you fancy joining in? xo

P.S: Remember the equally stunning midsummer night in Poland?
P.P.S: And don't forget that if you get too much sunshine this summer, you can always try this sunburn trick. Works like a charm!

(Photos by Ciara Richardson)

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is what I needed today, a little daydreaming. I remember reading a novel where this celebration was described. Looks even more beautiful in photos. Jill

Jessica said...

I would love to take part in a tradition like this. I agree it is totally swoon worthy! Plus it involves cute dresses, beautiful flowers, and having fun with your friends. I also like the story about lacing the flowers under your pillow to see your future husband in your dream. I definitely need some help in that area.

Jessica @ Sunny Days and Starry Nights

www.sunnydaystarrynight.com/

Melissa Blake said...

i'm half swedish, so this is awesome!!

Christianna said...

Awww, I love all of this tradition! The 7 flowers/future husband thing is just darling!

Chic 'n Cheap Living said...

How wonderful and beautiful! I wish we had that tradition too!


xoxo,
Chic 'n Cheap Living

Em said...

cute legend! :))
we don't have any midsummer celebrations here in my place but that one is definitely a great idea and very interesting!
<3
www.loveandelegance.info

Sini said...

We (from Finland) have similar traditions for midsummer as Sweden, the traditions with finiding your love (picking 7 different flowers, running naked in the fields, looking to the dwell on midnight etc). I LOVE my culture with paganism.

Diana Mieczan said...

Jill, I simply adore what you said:)

Diana Mieczan said...

Jessica:) It would be so much fun to do this, right?

Diana Mieczan said...

How cool, Melissa:)

Diana Mieczan said...

Aww..I so agree, Christianna:) I sent an email about it to my single friends saying that we should make our own little celebration with 7 flowers under the pillow. It might work, right? :)

Diana Mieczan said...

Sini, running naked in the fields and looking to the dwell on midnight? Oh boy, that sounds like so much fun!!!

Liesl said...

How whimsical and fun...love these! :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

exPress-o All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk