exPress-o Film Club: Return

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Have you seen the 2011 indie film, Return? What did you think? A few days ago Balazs and I watched it and I still carry that heavy feeling in my chest. It’s one of those thought provoking pictures that will probably stir up tons of different emotions in you. It’s a tale of a female soldier returning home from war to her small town life, her kids, her husband and full of post-war hardship. It shows how life is tough and challenging even though on the outside it looks so put together. It proves that after experiencing something so heart-breaking as war, nothing can be the same again, and that normal everyday tasks are just not that important anymore. It makes you realize that even the best-intentioned people can break under stress, pain and sadness. It’s one of those films that will enrich you on a long-run and make you look at situations and people in a bit different way. A must see!

Bits and bobs:
- The interesting thing is that the film was directed and written by a woman, Liza Johnson, which at first you wouldn't think so. Very interesting.
- Here is an interview with the director.
- Linda Cardellini plays the main character and you might also remember her from Mad Men. She played in a few episodes as Silvia Rosen.
- Do you remember her from Legally Blond? (Hint: the one with huge hair).
- Michael Shannon played the husband and I remember him best from the 2001 film, Vanilla Sky but he is probably most knows for his newest role in The Iceman. Now is theatres!
- Now I really want to see this film with him. Have you?
- Here is a very powerful scene from the Take Shelter with Michael Shannon.
- John Slattery also has a small yet very important role here.
- I loved him in The Adjustment Bureau. A must see!

P.S: Plus, a few other films that you might be in the mood for.
P.P.S: This film reminds me of this project.

(Photos via IMDb)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I haven't heard about it and the trailer gave me chills. Can't wait to watch it.

-Ola

Sara said...

Have you seen Mud or Shotgun Stories with Michael Shannon? He is perfect in both.

Shels DarkChocolate said...

I enjoy this blog feature, especially when I'm introduced to movies I'm yet to see, such as this one.

Ethaney said...

i've loved her since freaks and geeks.

this looks great and sad.

Jana @ 333 Days of Hand Lettering said...

I think this one may be to sad for me.
Jana

Diana Mieczan said...

Sara, no I haven't but I totally will now. Thanks for the recommendation:)

Diana Mieczan said...

Shels :)

Diana Mieczan said...

Oh yes, Ethaney:)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

exPress-o All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk