Have you seen the 2011 indie film, Return? What did you think? A few days ago Balazs and I watched it and I still carry that heavy feeling in my chest. It’s one of those thought provoking pictures that will probably stir up tons of different emotions in you. It’s a tale of a female soldier returning home from war to her small town life, her kids, her husband and full of post-war hardship. It shows how life is tough and challenging even though on the outside it looks so put together. It proves that after experiencing something so heart-breaking as war, nothing can be the same again, and that normal everyday tasks are just not that important anymore. It makes you realize that even the best-intentioned people can break under stress, pain and sadness. It’s one of those films that will enrich you on a long-run and make you look at situations and people in a bit different way. A must see!
Bits and bobs:
- The interesting thing is that the film was directed and written by a woman, Liza Johnson, which at first you wouldn't think so. Very interesting.
- Here is an interview with the director.
- Linda Cardellini plays the main character and you might also remember her from Mad Men. She played in a few episodes as Silvia Rosen.
- Do you remember her from Legally Blond? (Hint: the one with huge hair).
- Michael Shannon played the husband and I remember him best from the 2001 film, Vanilla Sky but he is probably most knows for his newest role in The Iceman. Now is theatres!
- Now I really want to see this film with him. Have you?
- Here is a very powerful scene from the Take Shelter with Michael Shannon.
- John Slattery also has a small yet very important role here.
- I loved him in The Adjustment Bureau. A must see!
P.S: Plus, a few other films that you might be in the mood for.
P.P.S: This film reminds me of this project.
(Photos via IMDb)