Coffee Shop Chatter

Monday, June 24, 2013


Crikey, listen to this, according to researches, the whoosh of espresso machines, the hum of milk steaming and caffeinated chatter typical of coffee shops creates just the right level of background noise to stimulate creativity and help people concentrate. So no wonder there are so many of us (including me) working away in our favourite cafés all squeezed like sardines yet so fulfilled in our creativity.

Now, here's some even better news, a website called Coffitivity was inspired by a recent study and came up with a free coffee shop soundtrack that you can listen to or just have it on in the background while working from home or the office. I’ve been using it for the past two weeks and I’m telling you, it’s so wonderfully addictive! You should try it - here is the link.

Do you ever work from cafés?

P.S:  Dr. Mehta says that moderate levels of distractions can actually help us think outside the box and solve our tasks quicker and more accurately. Genius!
P.P.S. And here is a fun coffee trick you might like and NYC coffee break.

(via Salon and The New York Times. Photos via 16 HouseBatixa and Modern Hepburn)

20 comments:

Liesl said...

How interesting is that...though there is something calming about coffee shops, they really do make you want to sit down and write or draw...creativity is sparked and inspiration does seem to be in the air! :)

Christianna said...

This makes so much sense! I've written some of the best pages of my book in coffee shops! This is such a great post!

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to try it out since I'm totally addictive to cafes and coffee houses. I honestly work best in those places. Thanks.

Diana Mieczan said...

Oh so true, Liesl:) So well said, darling.

Diana Mieczan said...

Aww...glad you like it, Christianna:)

Diana Mieczan said...

I so know the feeling, Anonymous:)

Elsa de Diego said...

Well, I've always prepared my Law School exams in coffee shops. Go figure, darling. Now I hit coffee shops a few times a week to work on my German! ;) Muah!

Jana Miller @ 333 Days of Hand Lettering said...

This is so cool!! Will try it today :)

erinkathleen said...

I love coffivity! I used to go to coffee shops all the time in college. I always joked that they were my library. I could never concentrate in my school's campus library, which was beautiful, but way too quiet for me! My housemates all thought I was nuts for going to noisy cafes. But they were all in the business school, and I was an English/Art major. Maybe that had something to do with it. :)

Melissa Blake said...

This is awesome news...maybe i should start working in coffee shops during the day!

Punctuation Mark said...

I'll put it on as soon as I get back to the office... This is so cool!

Niki said...

Genius! :)

Vintage Market Place said...

Maybe this is why I always have to have background noise to be working away in my studio.
Makes so much sense.
Amy

Diana Mieczan said...

Awesome, Elsa:)

Diana Mieczan said...

Jana:)

Diana Mieczan said...

Erin, that is a very good point! I used to study in cafes all the time too.

Diana Mieczan said...

Yay, Punctuation Mark!

Diana Mieczan said...

Amy, I bet!

hello.agi said...

I can't study at home with noise or radio, but I love studying in coffee shops.
Twice a week I have spanish and hungarian lessons with a spanish guy, and we always discover another cafes :)

Diana Mieczan said...

That sounds lovely, Agi:) What a great routine to have. Swoon!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

exPress-o All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk