Fancy an understated, relaxed and sassy summer? You know the one that makes you feel good in your own skin while looking stylish without trying too hard? Well, since my goal for this year is simplicity, last night I sorted through all my clothes and boxed all the items that I haven’t worn in a year, or those that are too small and also the ones I call “what were you thinking?”. We all have those, don't we?
Anyway, the whole process felt so freeing and since I’m on a summer roll, I put together a little guide to understated summer based on the actual clothes I have in my own closet. Those 15 basic pieces below are my favourite items I own and wear all the time. The best part? They all go together perfectly and by matching, mixing and swapping them around, they can easily get you through the whole season in understated, comfy and super stylish fashion. What do you say?
So here we go:
1. A boatneck striped tee that you can wear with shorts, jeans, over the dress or with the denim skirt.
2. A sun hat that can take you from a day in the city to a weekend by the beach.
3. A red lipstick (my favourite is this one in no.1) to make any easy-going look more chic.
4. A pair of simple ballerinas for a day-time coffee date or a work meeting.
5. A breezy chambray shirt to wear with the dress, on top of the tees and with shorts, jeans or even the skirt.
6. A pair of your beloved jeans because they are a must.
7. A pair of comfy shorts - that goes without saying.
8. A sassy and easy denim midi skirt since they are so totally in style right now and look great on any body shape.
9. An ivory super versatile and totally casual dress that will take you from day-to-night in a blink of an eye.
10. An eye-catching understated necklace like this baby skull one to add a fun edge to the look.
11. A little sassy everyday stacking ring. Who doesn't like those, right?
12. A bunch of your cotton v-neck tees since they are super comfy and classic. (psst: v-neck makes your neck look longer and your posture taller).
13. A pair of comfy Converse for busy days around the city. (Plus they give a great pop of colour).
14. Chic cat-eye sunglasses - unexpected and sassy. Bonus: they make your cheeks pop!
15. Rosebud salve to keep your lips and cheeks blushed all summer long. It's a miracle worker!
Would you wear them? What are your few summer-essentials? xo
P.S: Modern rules of red lips.
P.P.S: Plus, how to wear layers like a true French mademoiselle!
(Photos by/via Street Style Aesthetic, The Sartorialist, Oracle Fox, French Voguettes, Stockholm Streetstyle, Fox on the run. Layout of the last image by exPress-o)