A Little Life Lesson On Embracing Yourself

Monday, June 10, 2013

Have you read this article in Shape about confidence-boosting tips? Anyway, the whole piece is about women aged 9 to 99 who share their lessons on embracing yourself to the fullest, being positive and owning the room. All the tips are very powerful but the one advice (and probably the most simple one of all) that stuck with me was from 99 year old Esther pictured above. She really put a different spin on the subject of confidence. Here is what she said:

'Your body is your instrument, and you have to take beautiful care of it. You really enjoy life a lot more if you're healthy. And I never leave home without putting on lipstick - it makes me feel pretty!'

Wise, isn’t it? It all comes from within and if our instrument doesn't work or is broken it will affect us - so simple yet so genius! She also does one hour of yoga and walks for 30 minutes every single day.

I don’t know what it was but ever since I read her quote, I somehow have it stored in the back of my mind to the point that now I rarely skip my morning swim session or my meditation practice that I (still) utterly struggle with. The little insignificant excuses of being tired, too busy or just plain lazy stopped working for me. If she can do it at 99, I certainly can do it too at (eek, nearly) 31. What does being confident mean to you? How do you embrace yourself? xo

P.S: Plus, remember Maia Helles, the 95 year old Russian ballerina?
P.P.S: More on life lessons...

(Photo by Mary Ellen Mark)

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Grandmothers always speak the truth. Every time I stick to my running routine, I feel my body and my mind getting happier, healthier and my confidence is growing but excuses are my big problem, I have too many, haha

That's Not My Age said...

Oh this is fantastic! I love it.

Diana Mieczan said...

Giggle, Anonymous :)

Diana Mieczan said...

That's Not My Age :)

Sarah Mc. said...

Oh, I totally agree! That's so inspiring. Seriously? 99? I'm getting my butt off the couch now.

Dancing Branflake said...

I love this so much! I was JUST thinking how I want to be running and dancing until I die. That's my life goal physically and it makes me so excited. That's part of embracing my body and loving it.

Laura Bear said...

LOVe this. It really is an instrument that we have to take care of! A little lipstick can do wonders! :)

Rachel @ Existation said...

What great advice...I do NOT take good care of myself, and I rarely take the time to look pretty. It's so true that your body is your instrument. I need to keep this in mind.

Tish said...

I heart this and good job for stickin with it!

Diana Mieczan said...

Sarah, she looks so beautiful, doesn't she?

Diana Mieczan said...

I totally adore what you said, Tiffany:)

Diana Mieczan said...

Oh-so true, Laura:)

Diana Mieczan said...

Rachel, it's never too late to start:)

Diana Mieczan said...

Thanks, Tish!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

exPress-o All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk