What's your super power?

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

What's your super power aka the thing that you are super-duper-good-at? One of the perks of being married and having a foreign partner is that it's very easy to develop a great eye for reading body language. Back in the day whenever I was around Balazs' family or his Hungarian friends that didn't really speak English, I learned to feed off their gestures, lip movements, gesticulations and all the little quirks that you pay attention to when you don't completely understand the other person. I remember catching myself repeating new words I learned in Hungarian by recreating the hand movement and facial expression of the person I heard it from. It's so bizarre but so helpful to me! I bet that those of you married to a foreigner can relate to this, can't you? So, in the past few years I've noticed that I rely on those body language instincts much more than I used to. At times Balazs is even spooked out by how accurately I can make an observation and respond to someone the right way even if that person didn't really say much. Ever since I'm with Balazs (which is over 11 years now - yowza) I became fascinated with body language and maybe that is why I love people-watching so much. Once a friend who shares my super power said that even if we don't say something, our body says it for us:) I love that!

Now your turn. What's your super power? Do you have a sixth sense? Are you great with numbers? A fantastic problem solver or maybe you are a wonderful friend? Balazs' super power is his friendliness. He is the easiest person I've ever known to make friends. People just love talking to him. xo

P.S: And your anti-stress hero:)

(Photo of Batwoman via Down the rabbit hole)

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like when you write about you relationship with Balazs. Anywho, my super-power has to be patients. I'm known for being calm and ever since I have kids I became incredibly patient to the point that nothing can make the upset. Cheers, Grace

Martie @ Spunkyrella said...

Oh those Hungarians - I can relate as you know :)

I really have to think about my Superpower though. I guess you´ve had to ask my friends - I don´t know at all.....

But one of my qualities might be kindness or at least I´ve heard that a lot of times and I am rad at finding perfect gifts, this much I know :)

And lately I guess my cooking gets better - but I would call this more of a lifesaving necessity than superpower, haha

Nina @ run(dance)love said...

My boyfriend is Irish and while it isn't a different language, it still takes a lot for me to understand the humor and some of the verbage they use as opposed to American English. I get what you mean!

I have a pretty great brain and I quickly memorize things. So I guess that is my super power. Comes in handy being an actress. ;)

little t said...

Ok so this is a strange one and hard to explain: I am really good at spotting actors in films and identifying them either by name or (more often) by listing a bunch of other things they have been in. It doesn't sound like much of a talent... but I can usually do it with much lesser-known actors and it's good sometimes when you're watching a movie and you can't concentrate on it because you NEED TO KNOW why you recognize one of the cast. I'm handy to have around at those times.

Diana Mieczan said...

You are so sweet, Grace and I like your super power a lot:)

Diana Mieczan said...

Martie, that is such a wonderful quality to have...You must be an awesome friend:)

Diana Mieczan said...

Nina, I love Irish accent. It's so different from British English or American English - very true! Btw: I would love to have your super power...I am rubbish in memorizing things...I always have to make a list of things so I don't forget. Ha!

Btw: I LOVE that you are an actress:)

Diana Mieczan said...

Oh my goodness, little t...You and my Balazs would be good friends. He is so like that too! I LOVE that:)

Jana Miller said...

I think my super power is looking beyond someone to why they are acting poorly. I work with 5th grade kids and this is a good super power indeed!
Jana @ 333 Days of Hand Lettering

Diana Mieczan said...

I love that, Jana:)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

exPress-o All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk