Wash Your Bowl

Monday, May 13, 2013

Do you exist in the present/in the moment or do you overstimulate/rush yourself on everyday basis?

Since my 2013 goal is to simplify my life and go back to basics instead of spreading myself thin between daily tasks, I found my new ‘calm’. I used to multitask like crazy thinking that it will save me time, energy and make me be more effective. Well, remember this? I came to realize that it actually does the opposite to my life and when recently I read this little article, I discovered how important it is to not skip on steps and just let yourself fully absorb any task from start to finish before moving onto the next part of your day:

"When you’re done eating, mindfully wash your bowl. When you’re done with anything, get in the habit of pausing before moving onto the next thing, and cleaning up after yourself. Put your food away. Put your clothes where they belong. Put your keys in one spot. Clean the sink before you leave it. This simple habit will keep you mindful while saving you lots of clean-up later."

That is why I love baking so much. Each step can't be rushed and you have to give your undivided attention to each part of the baking process or otherwise your cake won’t taste great. So, I adapted the same exact rule to everything from washing my breakfast bowl after granola, to my swimming routine, to meeting friends for a drink and even to making dinner. Each part of our task is important so why not give it your full attention? Plus, the last part makes for a fantastic transition where we can reflect, absorb and be present….Simple, isn't it?

Fancy trying it for a week to see how much more relaxed and centred you will become? You will enjoy all those things so much more too - promise! What do you think, are you up for a challenge? xo

P.S: A little wisdom to a happier you:)
P.P.S: Relaxing = productivity.

(via Darling Magazine. Photo by Sarah Copeland via A Well Traveled Woman)

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is very timely since I recently decided to swap my full time position to part time. Ever since I became a mom I had difficulty managing my time and I always ended up feeling guilty for not giving 100% at work or not being there for my daughter at all times. I felt that I'm running on 250% but in result I felt like I'm failing as manager, mother, wife, friend. Your concept makes sense to me because of what I went thought and I'll be adapting it to my everyday routine. Thanks you Diana. Cheers, Grace

Sini said...

I need this so badly, arrange my life, simple life. Clear the excess off, not to buy too many things. Go out, enjoy the life.

Thank you for sharing this! xx

skedian said...

This is such a great reminder. I am constantly leaving bowls in the sink - literally and figuratively! xx

Chrissy said...

This post really rings true with me right now...I really have to find a way to arrange my time better...being a part time working mom can really get the best of you! Thanks for this lovely reminder, dear! Happy Monday xxx

Anna S said...

Overstimulate/rush, I have a short attention span so I get bored easily. Very easily.

Polly Rowan said...

Good idea - I'm going to try this. And it'll be a simple pleasure when you don't have a pile of washing up to do at the end of the day either!

Diana Mieczan said...

So well said, Sini! Cheers to simplicity!!!!

Diana Mieczan said...

skedian, :)

Diana Mieczan said...

My pleasure, Chrissy:)

Diana Mieczan said...

So true, Polly:)

Diana Mieczan said...

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, Grace! You can do it:)

HelloSweetcheeks said...

I seriously NEED to do this. I really enjoy your posts. Thanks for sharing.

tutusandtea said...

I love this, so true and important to remember and reflect on throughout our busy days... Thank you for sharing!

Diana Mieczan said...

Awww..thank you, HelloSweetcheeks:)

Diana Mieczan said...

My pleasure, tutusandtea:)

bethan said...

This is such a lovely reflection. I've just started to learn more about being mindful and I hope that it will enhance my experience of life and what I get out of it.

bethan x

Laura Bear said...

I love this so much! I have never thought of it as being mindful and pausing before moving onto the next step, but that is such a nice concept to carry through in life! I am off to pick up my heap of clothes on the floor now... :-/

Rachel @ Existation said...

This is something I have been meaning to work on for awhile! My first step should definitely be washing my bowl (slash the millions of glasses I seem to use every day for no apparent reason)...those dishes really pile up, man!

Diana Mieczan said...

Bethan, good for you, dear! It totally will:) Since I started being more mindful, I feel so much better and less stressed:)

Diana Mieczan said...

Laura:) I adore your comments.

Diana Mieczan said...

They really do, don't they, Rachel? :) Good luck, sweetie. You can do it!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

exPress-o All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk