Walking meetings?

Monday, May 20, 2013

Would you go for a walking coffee date/meeting with a friend or a colleague? Recently, I read Nilofer’s article where she boldly stated that sitting is the smoking of our generation. As harsh as that might sound, it's true. Sadly (or not) the 21st century is all about technology, whether it's work or play, and we tend to swap walking, strolling or outdoor activities for sitting, watching and browsing. It’s incredible to think that on average we sit about 9 hours a day while sleeping about 7 hours. Sitting became so prevalent that we don’t even question or realize how much we actually do it.

How long do you sit on average each day? I’m totally guilty of over-sitting. There are days that I have cooking clubs or a recipe day and I stand all day long, but there are others that I spend even up to 10 hours at my monitor working on projects, writing for exPress-o or doing a research. Knowing all that and being super inspired by Nilofer's article, I decided not to be a statistic anymore!

About 3 weeks ago I started scheduling my Tuesday morning breakfast dates with Sofia in a park. We used to meet in a Bistro down the road for a French toast and eggs breakfast, but now we just pick up a cup of coffee and an egg sandwich, put on running shoes and off we go. We walk for 1,5 hours instead of sitting. It’s not much but it’s already something and you know what? Tuesday just became my favourite day ever! I feel inspired, lighter, my mind is clearer and my brain is more absorbent. Can you imagine how much better we could feel if we made this into a long lasting habit? Are you game?

Psst: From now on, every Tuesday morning, I’ll tweet a photo of my walking path and if you decide to join in, just tweet yours too in a way that I can see it. We can be walking buddies even if we are in two different countries, continents, cities or neighbourhoods. Deal? xo

P.S: And the healther way to phone chit-chats!
P.P.S: Plus a few great ways to cope with stress.

(Photos by/via David BellemereHamburg Kennedy, Hip Paris)

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

I need to start doing this too. My days consist of mostly sitting. I have a few meeting but they all are sitting-meetings and after work I usually meet my husband for dinner...and there we sit as well. I didn't realize how much I actually sit till I read your post. Thank you and expect a photo tweet from me this week. Cheers, Grace

Dancing Branflake said...

I love this idea. When I travel, I go specifically to go on walks in a new area- it's my favorite thing to do. And you know all about my five mile walks around my neighborhood. But what I would really love to do is go on walks with friends instead of going out to eat. Or maybe just going out to eat afterward haha!

Diana Mieczan said...

Same here, Grace! I only realized how much I actually sit when I read the article. It's so funny! Btw: I'm totally looking forward to your photo! xoxo

Diana Mieczan said...

Good idea, Tiffany....Walk and dinner later:) I like that a lot! Btw: Travelling is so good for walking:)

bethan said...

I dread to think how much I sit! However, at weekends I really love to get up and go out for a walk, there is no better date activity than walking through a big city and maybe getting a little bit lost! In fact, just this weekend I walked from Bayswater to Waterloo in London and it was wonderful!

Emmy said...

That is a wonderful idea--to do a meeting-walk. I like that more than a sit-down meeting. I sit way too much--I have the typical office job and, therefore, sit up to 13 hours a day (including my commuting). It's definitely not healthy. My bones and joints feel it every morning. :/

Nicole Underwood said...

totally great idea!

CHEVRON and GEOMETRICS said...

Deal, totally! I'm all about walking and taking rejuvenating strolls whether by myself or with my good friends. It's definitely something I try to do but this will certainly motivate me more to take a walk and explore rather than sit down and eat.

I'll certainly plan on tweeting a photo to you!!! x

Josie said...

I love walking and the best is walking with a purpose...strolling to get groceries, buying a newspaper, picking up the kids, walking to the ice cream shop...etc. Since I have moved to the US I feel as if I am always in my car. I make a point of walking at least two to three times a week for 5 miles. When it is with a friend it is always more pleasurable and I wish the walks would never end!

Jana Miller said...

My husband and I take walking dates every week. He talks so much more when we are walking and we seem to be better at problem solving while walking too.
Jana @ 333 Days of Hand Lettering

Roselie said...

This is so true! And an amazing idea...so simple yet so effective...

Karen Toms said...

Thanks for sharing this great article and I'm looking forward to your Tues walk tweets.

When I lived in Australia, it was very common for people to meet and go for a walk. Going for a coffee very often meant going for a walk and grabbing a coffee. It was a much healthier lifestyle.

I've been trying to build some more activity into my week so this is great inspiration.

xx

Diana Mieczan said...

My pleasure, Karen and how wonderful that people in Australia do that! Btw: today's photo tweets are already there:)

Diana Mieczan said...

Totally, Roselie:)

Diana Mieczan said...

Jana, how interesting! Yes, I read somewhere that people can think much better while walking and they become more open and chatty.

Diana Mieczan said...

Josie, I feel the same about my Tuesday walks. I love them so much and Sofia is a great walking-buddy:)

Diana Mieczan said...

yay! I am so looking forward to your photo, CHEVRON and GEOMETRICS :)

Diana Mieczan said...

bethan, that really sounds wonderful + I totally agree about getting a little bit lost:) It can be so fun!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

exPress-o All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk