Raw Emotions

Tuesday, May 21, 2013
29 minutes...
7 min...
45 min...
5 min...
28 min...
8 min...
3 min...

Imagine sitting across from someone you don’t know but who stares into your eyes…now, what kind of emotions do you think you will feel? Would you break down, be uncomfortable or wouldn’t feel anything at all? How many minutes would it take you to start crying?

Back in 2010 an amazing performance artist Marina Abramović put on an art exhibition at the New York’s MoMA where she sat on a chair and stared into the eyes of anymore who was brave enough to engage her. The rules were simple; just sit down across from Marina and let your emotions take you over. There was not time restriction so you could leave anytime you were done without a word. Marina sat in the museum for a total of 716 hours and 30 minutes and engaged with over 1500 people. The photos above are the collection of the raw emotions that many of the individuals experienced at the time when they were sitting across from Marina.

The strangest thing is that by just looking at those photos I get a bit choked up and I wonder what they were thinking about at that exact moment when the photo was taken. Were those the tears of grief, love-lost, happiness, regret, sadness, hope or maybe a final goodbye...

And here is an incredibly emotional video of the artist herself reunited with her former love that she hasn’t seen in years. They had an intense relationship in the 70s when they decided to walk the Great Wall of China, each from one end and meeting for the last time in the middle…but they never seen each other again…till that day back in 2010 when he sat across from her during the exhibition. Just like that! (Little warning: you will need tissues. Every time I watch it, I get chills). xo

P.S: A Soldier's story.
P.P.S: Women are heroes.

(via My Modern Met, video via Swiss Miss)

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

How touching, especially the video and her reaction to seeing him for the first time. I am an extremely emotional person so I would start crying right away. My mom used to say that I feel everything in the air and react to it right away. Cheers, Grace

Diana Mieczan said...

Anonymous, that is actually a very lovely quality:) Btw: yes, her reaction was amazing.

Laura Bear said...

Wow the photos are really beautiful. The video was really touching. I had to turn the music off, as when he came out it was going to push me over the edge :)

Jana Miller said...

I was so moved by this video the first time i saw it. I had to watch it several times.

Jana @ 333 Days of Hand Lettering

erinkathleen said...

such a wonderful exhibit! I've seen the video before, but not the photos. thank you for sharing!

fun fact, the second photo is Jemima Kirke from Girls! :)

Emmy said...

This was so inspirational. I had to share your post with my Facebook friends because it was so moving. Thank you for posting this lovely and most inspiring video and story! <3

Kristina said...

The video is incredible! I had tears rolling down my face! So beautiful!!

Diana Mieczan said...

Laura:)

Diana Mieczan said...

Jana, me too. I watched it like 5 times by now.

Diana Mieczan said...

That is so true, erinkathleen! Thanks for that:)

Diana Mieczan said...

my pleasure, Emmy!

Basia said...

I remember when I heard about this exibition for the first time and I thought it was a bit weird and not really interesting, but tis fragment with the guy she was emotionally involved with was really intense )

and they way they broke up, heh , such artistic way to end relationship

Monique Bellavia said...

wow. I remember then this exhibit was going on. I found it fascinating that one person through the eyes could have such an effect on a stranger. Human emotion is so strange like that. Such an awesome video of her and her former lover.

Diana Mieczan said...

Monique, so true...

Related Posts with Thumbnails

exPress-o All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk