How To Make Moroccan Mint Tea (+ one special ingredient)

Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Whenever Balazs and I have a dinner in our local Moroccan spot down the street, afterwards I always promise myself that I'll try recreating their signature Moroccan mint tea at home. Have you ever tried the traditional blend? It's such a staple and it gives a regular mint tea run for its money - big time! Anyway, after a few failed attempts I finally found the perfect recipe blend that takes me back to my favourite restaurant with every sip. The secret ingredient? Well, it's verbena leaves. They add that special citrus flavour that refreshes you and energizes your whole body in an instant. Plus, the whole drink looks super fancy and beautiful, so you can feel like you are somewhere special when you drink it. The little things in life!

If you fancy trying it, here is the how to:
Put 1 green tea bag, a handful of mint sprigs and a small handful of dried verbena leaves into a cooking pan and pour in 4 cups of water. Bring the whole mix to boil and simmer for about 5 minutes before pouring it off to pre-prepared glasses. Psst: don't forget to add a sprig of mint to each glass for that fancy factor and a bit of honey for sweetness :)

Btw: you can drink it hot or cold. After your tea cools off a bit, just add a few ice cubes on top:) It's the perfect thing for hot days. Ta dah!

P.S: Also how to make a spiced chai concentrate and delicious green sun tea:)
P.P.S: Super snazzy GIVEAWAY is coming up!

(Recipe adapted from Fern Green. Photo by Polly Wreford and Sarah Kaye for Red Mag)

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

I often drink mint tea but not the Moroccan type. It's funny because the other day I noticed lemon verbena leaves on the market and I wondered how could I used them. Now I know, thank you.

Blond Duck said...

I've never tried mint tea!

meenal@maison marigold said...

I'll have to give it a try..looks tempting.thanks for the recipe..xx meenal

meenal@maison marigold said...

I'll have to give it a try..looks tempting.thanks for the recipe..xx meenal

Diana Mieczan said...

Awesome, Anonymous!!!

Diana Mieczan said...

You totally should, Blond Duck. It's delicious and totally refreshing.

Diana Mieczan said...

My pleasure, Meenal:)

Lady Grey said...

There's another secret ingredient... SUGAR!!! When my husband and I travelled around Morocco, we had fresh mint tea every day. It was amazing! But our jaws dropped when we saw the huge lumps of sugar that were tossed in those teapots!
Ha! That's why it's so delicious!
xo

Ethaney said...

moroccan tea is seriously me and M's favorite drink ever. i like it hot, i like it iced...it doesn't matter. thank you SO much for posting this. i will definitely be making the iced version quite often from now on!

Jana Miller said...

I think I've only eaten at a Moroccan restaurant once. What do you usually get beside s the tea?Jana @ 333 Days of Hand Lettering

bethan said...

I love mint tea, but I've never worked out how to make it - thanks for the tips!

LyddieGal said...

That sounds like a delightful summer beverage! I have fresh mint growing in my yard so i'll have to try it.

Just Another Shopaholic said...

I will have to try this! Perfect for summer.

Michelle {lovely little things} said...

I love Moroccan mint tea!

Diana Mieczan said...

Jana, one of my favourite dishes is Moroccan lamb tagine (it's a slow-cooked dish) and we usually start off with Briouat. They also have amazing salads and couscous dishes served with veggies and chickpeas:)

Diana Mieczan said...

Vanessa, that is true but honey works great as well.

Diana Mieczan said...

My pleasure, Ethaney! I am so happy that you will make it:)

Annie said...

I LOVE Moroccan Mint Tea!!

Monique Bellavia said...

This sounds so refreshing!! And I have a mint plant that is currently growing like a weed! I'll have to whip this up! thanks for the recipe!

Diana Mieczan said...

Annie, I knew you would:)

Diana Mieczan said...

Yay! My pleasure, Monique:)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

exPress-o All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk