exPress-o Originals: Bear's Onion Pesto

Thursday, May 30, 2013

My lovelies, have you ever heard of bear's onion or wild garlic? If you haven't, you've been missing out on something delicious. It's a leafy plant that grows only for a very short period of time in spring. It has a garlicky taste, a bit similar to chives but a dash more delicate yet richer. It's one of our favourite spring pesto ingredients since it's totally unfussy! You can eat it on a piece of bread with tons of different toppings, like salmon, ham, tuna, sunny side up egg or even on its own. Best part? It's super healthy and it will keep your whole body in a top notch shape.

So if you're intrigued, make sure to pick up a bunch of it next time you're at the Farmers' Market. You won't be sorry:) Here is the recipe.

Bear's Onion Pesto
- A bunch of bear's onion leaves (washed and chopped)
- 1 tablespoon of parmesan cheese (grated)
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove of garlic (grated)
- 1 handful of pine nuts
- A dash of salt and pepper to your taste

Put all the ingredients in a blender and blend until well combined and smooth. Serve immediately and enjoy! Ta dah!

Lovelies, what do you think? Would you try it? Have you already? xo

P.S: Also, rucola and avocado pesto and sun dried tomato pesto bread - yum!
P.P.S: And
a few other recipes you might like.

(Photos, recipe and layout by


Martie @ Spunkyrella said...

At first I was confused what "bear´s onion" might be. But it´s not as exotic as I first thought - it grows nearly everywhere over here and is called "Baerlauch" in German which kind of translates into "leek" rather than onion.....

I personally don´t like it, never have. The taste is too tangy, I don´t how to describe it. I prefer normal fresh garlic :)

Still the recipe looks and sounds rather nice :)

Anonymous said...

When I was in my teen my mom used to make sandwiches with cheese, wild garlic and salt. My brother and I loved them and this posts brings such a great memories. I'll definitely get a bunch this weekend. Thanks

Diana Mieczan said...

Anonymous, what a sweet memory to have:) I have the same thing about Polish pierogi:)

Valerie said...

Sounds intriguing and definitely something worth trying out. Pretty sure our farmers markets were full of it last time we went.

Laura Bear said...

Hmm that sounds yummy! Great for early summer!

lizranger said...

Ooh, never tried wild garlic, nor knew it by the name bear's onion (so fairy tale, isn't it?). I'd love to try it, and a pesto sounds like a perfect showcase. yum!

Diana Mieczan said...

I bet, Valerie:)

Diana Mieczan said...

Totally, Laura:)

Diana Mieczan said...

Thanks, Liz and yes, it totally sounds very fairy tale-like:)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

exPress-o All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk