exPress-o Film Club: The Impossible

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Lovelies, have you seen The Impossible? It’s an English-language Spanish produced film based on a true story of an incredible family of 5 (3 boys and their parents). I can’t wait to hear your feelings about it. What did you think? Although on the surface the film is all about the heart-breaking tsunami that happened on 26th of December, 2004, the underlining story is about a family caught among the devastation, fear, hopelessness and suffering.

It’s about survival against all the odds and hanging on to the last bit of hope when faced with something so incredibly heart-breaking. It shows the raw emotions, the humanity, the need to feel close to the ones you love and it proved once again that nothing is more important in this world than the people you love. It’s true what they say: material things can be easily replaced but the people you love are irreplaceable, so cherish them. I was left inspired by Lucas (their oldest son). He was the hero and despite his very young age, he became the one who in a way brought them all back together. So, if you are in the mood for an inspiring night in front of the telly, this film is for you :)

Bits and bobs:
- Here is a wonderful interview with the real Maria (The mother in the film).
- She was present on the film set while shooting and often helped Naomi recreate the true feeling she felt in the moment. Incredible!
- This is so emotional...and here is the whole story behind the film.
- I was in awe of Naomi Watts. She was brilliant!
- And I would totally say the same about Ewan McGregor and the awesome dude, Tom Holland. (He was extraordinary).
- How I Live Now is a new film that Tom is playing in and it will be released in October.
- Have you seen Naomi in The Ring? (Scary to the point that you can't stop watching).
- Fun fact: she is actually not only Australian but also British. She was born in  Kent!
- In 2001 Naomi produced and played in her first ever short called Ellie Parker. Have you seen it?
- Great Inside The Actors Studio with Naomi. (Fantastic watch).
- Tom talking about his role in this film.
- This is how they shot the wave.
- This is what Maria said that made me super emotional: "My family was all gone. It was, 'Oh my goodness, I'm alive but I am alone.'
- I adored Ewan in Salmon Fishing in the Yemen. Such a brilliant film!

P.S: Plus, a few other films that rock my world right now.
P.P.S: And 10 feel good films of my 20s!

(Photos via IMDb)

17 comments:

Chrissy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Chrissy said...

I haven't seen it, but I will soon! The trailer totally got me when I first saw it! Can not wait! Hugs love xxx

skedian said...

I just watched this 2 weeks ago and it has stayed on my mind and in my heart since then. So very moving and heart-wrenching. I was in tears. It made me think of my own kids...just indescribable feelings a parent would have in those moments. Now I need to watch something REALLY lighthearted!!

holtkamp said...

i'm still trying to convince my husband to see this. we've heard about heart wrenching it is, maybe i should emotionally prep myself before watching :)

Monica | Hola!design said...

oh yes Diana! this is such a great film. The scene where the brothers reunite made me cry like a baby!
it's so powerful.

Ethaney said...

i need to see this. i've been meaning to for months now!

reena2 said...

Amazing film!!! I saw this film quite awhile ago and it's one that stays with you. I admit I was hesitant due to the true story. I was blown away at how well done it was - gripping, yet not focusing on death but survival. The oldest son and his 'take charge' attitude esp. at the hospital portrayed how strong, intuitive, bright, and flexible our children can be. So many posivitive qualities arise from people when disasters hit. A must see!

Relydesign said...

I haven't seen it yet but I will soon!The trailer is amazing!I had goose bumps just watching the trailer...

beautifullifeandstyle.com said...

omg i recently watched this on a flight- BIG mistake in that i was outright SOBBING and of course no one else was watching but me and I looked like a crazy person. The moments during the tsunami really shook me- the emotional feeling of uneasiness lasted for weeks. Great film though.

Diana Mieczan said...

Chrissy, it's a must see. It's very sad but also incredibly inspiring.

Diana Mieczan said...

skedian, totally with you on that, I cried so much too and I still think about the plot. Heart-breaking yet so incredible. Btw: if you fancy something very light-hearted and easy to watch you should check out Playing For Keeps with Gerard Butler and Jessica Biel. It's a sweet and easy film...Perfect for a night in with a bowl of popcorn and a glass of wine!

Diana Mieczan said...

holtkamp, yes it is but it's also very beautiful in a way and it shows how much the family loves each other and that the only thing we really need is love:)Hope you'll watch it:)

Diana Mieczan said...

So true, Monica! That scene pushed me over the edge too.

Diana Mieczan said...

Reena, I totally agree with you! So well said.:)

Diana Mieczan said...

beautifullifeandstyle :)

Jana Miller said...

oh my gosh-I have to see that now!
Jana @ 333 Days of Hand Lettering

Lena said...

Hi Diana, I actually wrote about that movie too last week and to be honest, I didn't really like it. It is true - the movie is still on my mind and Tom Holland who played Lucas was incredible. But, the rest was pretty poor from a movie make point. Obviously the story is strong and unbelievably amazing but I am not a fan. And yes, I cried a river too.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

exPress-o All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk