exPress-o Film Club: Amour

Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Have you seen the Oscar winning French film, Amour? I’d love to know your thoughts on it. I’ve been thinking all day how to sum this film up and the only words that come to my mind are heart-breaking love story!

It’s a raw, intimate, devastating, unflinching and honest portrayal of an elderly couple faced with death. The story asks many hard questions about life and to be absolutely honest, it’s one of the most moving films I’ve even seen. Even while typing this post, I get teary just thinking about it. Seeing your soul mate suffer is never easy but knowing the end is near must be devastating yet inevitable. It’s a film that initially will break your heart into millions of small pieces and make you cry uncontrollably to the point that your chest will feel all heavy, but ultimately will make you realize how amazing true love is. There is nothing better than sharing your life with someone you truly adore and when the end comes, it simply comes...but it will never outlast the true love that two people share. That lasts forever!

Bits and bobs:
- Jean-Louis Trintignant is a French icon and an outstanding actor who is 83 years old.
- He played in tons of French films and I've previously seen him in Three Colours: Red.
- Here is a rare interview with him.
- The Austrian director, Michael Haneke on the film. Must read!
- He also admits that his films are easier to make than to watch.
- Emmanuelle Riva played Anne in the film and  she was nominated for an Oscar for her role. Furthermore, she is the oldest woman to have ever received a nomination for the Best Actress title.
- Here is an amazing vintage photo tribute to her.
- A few facts about Emmanuelle.
- Plus, this 85 years old lady is not planning to retire anytime soon. Her newest film is A Geek Type of Problem.
- Here is an intreview with her from 1959! What a beauty!
- You can read more about the story here.
- Michael Haneke once said: "Films that are entertainments give simple answers but I think that's ultimately more cynical, as it denies the viewer room to think. If there are more answers at the end, then surely it is a richer experience."

P.S: And here are a few more amazing, beautiful and watch-worthy films that you might like:)

(Photos via IMDb)

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am really looking forward to watch it but I am also worried that I can't handle the story-line. Love, Amy

That's Not My Age said...

I loved this film, and if I ruled The Academy, I'd have given it an Oscar or two!

Melissa Blake said...

I've heard so many good things about this movie -- looks wonderful!

Ethaney said...

i saw this in the theaters and was very pleasantly surprised by it. SO FRENCH but i always say the french make the greatest films. this movie made me feel with every inch of my body. it was so sad to me...made me think of when my mom gets older...when i get older...when morgan gets older...

the most startling scene to me was when he slapped his wife out of frustration, sadness, and despair. i lost it then!

ps this director has also directed this thriller called funny games...it's filmed in a very similar way to amour but of course...it's a very different genre. if you have netflix, it's on instant play.

xo

Ethaney said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I'm afraid to watch this movie because I've been married for 30+ years and my spouse is ill. What you said is true, it's very hard to watch someone you love be sick, and slowly go down, down, down. It's very scary and you cry uncontrollably at times. You don't want to think about, "what if". You just aren't ready.

Chrisa Aspridou said...

I just saw the movie (I 'm a HUGE fan of french movies) and I'm thrilled! The emotions were so strong... I really believe that I am a diffrent person after that movie...!
It talks about so many issues that have to do with elderly people, love, appreciantion, human relations...
The emotion that remained after the movie it's something like "katharsis", what we, the Greeks, say for the ancient greek tragedy. It leaves you pure in your soul, with a sentiment of justice and tranquillity...
Stunning!

Just Another Shopaholic said...

I havent seen this but heard great things! I def have to watch it.

Diana Mieczan said...

Amy, it's a very emotional film but if you decide to watch it, you will not regret it. It's so heart-breaking but so beautiful in the same time.

Diana Mieczan said...

That's Not My Age, they won for the best foreign language film.

Diana Mieczan said...

Ethaney, of yes! The film is very French, indeed and I totally agree with you - the French know their craft oh-so well. The story is so incredibly real that it scares me too. Btw: Thanks for the funny games recommendation. I'll watch it this week.

Diana Mieczan said...

Oh, I am so sorry, Anonymous! My heart goes out to you.

Diana Mieczan said...

Chrisa, it changed me too. It's such powerful watch. I totally agree with everything you said.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

exPress-o All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk