3 Rules To Long Flowy Dresses

Thursday, May 16, 2013

Do you wear long dresses? I love them and they are one of the most popular spring and summer wardrobe choices around the world, yet so many women have a hard time pulling them off. Some worry that they are too petite or short, others say their waist is invisible or their proportions are totally off.

Well, I recently read that no matter how tall, short, skinny or curvy you might be, there is one set type of maxi dresses that fit us all and make our proportions look just right. Here are the three things to keep in mind while shopping for a maxi dress next time around: it should have an empire waist, short sleeves and subtle prints. It’s important to break the length and create a division/movement. Bonus: if you want to look even taller, just put your hair into an updo - it will add optically a few extra inches to your look.  Da dah!

Would do you think? Agree or disagree? Would you give it a go? xo

P.S: And pink maxi skirts.
P.P.S: Plus, blue and white twist on spring:)

(Photos by/via Vanessa Jackman, The Style Spy, Nelly, Girl Obsessed, Fashion Salade, Treasured, The Sartorialist)

20 comments:

Dancing Branflake said...

I LOVE the sixth one and the last one. I am on a HUNT to find maxi dresses with short sleeves and a defined waist. It's crazy hard to find, shockingly. So those two are on my list. I need to find them!

Diana Mieczan said...

Tiffany, MANGO (http://shop.mango.com/) has a few beautiful long flowy dresses that I think you might like. There is one called Floral Print Gown that is very similar to the one on the sixth photo:)

Laura Bear said...

LOve this post! I JUST, as in last night, pulled the trigger on a peachy open shoulder empire number from free people. It should work well for me preggers and then I can wear it when not! Winwin!

I was having a teensy bit of buyers guilt, as I have bought too many things as of late... but this post set my mind straight. Thanks! and good tips! Glad what I ordered met all those criteria! :)

Gwen said...

I love maxi dresses! I wish I had a smaller waist, or a waist at all for that matter ;) so I could pull of the whole empire waist thing ;p

LyddieGal said...

I love wearing maxi dresses - so easy and comfortable! Love all these gorgeous printed ones!

Kirsty Girl said...

Love the tips! I'm not even 5" so I need all the updo height I can get! Maybe I should get a beehive! ;)

Roselie said...

These dresses are gorgeous! I love maxi dresses but I don't wear them that often...

Monica | Hola!design said...

great post, D! I've always wanted to wear long dresses but was afraid because I'm short! I'm getting one for the Summer! yay!

Just Another Shopaholic said...

I love long dresses! I wear them a lot during the summer.

holtkamp said...

I love this look but always felt I was too short to pull it off! But this summer I threw away the rules and got two maxi dresses because they are just too perfect for summer. Great tips!

little t said...

Beautiful dresses - and I definitely think a well fitting maxi dress makes you look taller, hair up or down.

Diana Mieczan said...

Awesome, Laura!!!

Diana Mieczan said...

Gwen :)

Diana Mieczan said...

That is fantastic, Monica:) You'll look great!

Diana Mieczan said...

Good for you, holtkamp! I LOVE that!

Becky Kozak said...

i have been looking for a maxi dress by my issue is that i seem to be taller than most dresses and so it ends up falling awkward ankle height! maybe someday i'll wear one of these pretty dresses!!

xo Becky
www.seductivemania.com

Diana Mieczan said...

Becky, I am pretty tall (5.10) as well and I buy most of my maxi dresses in Zara. They are very long and super sassy:)

Anonymous said...

where can I buy that first dress?

Diana Mieczan said...

Anonymous, I tried to find out but no news so far. You should check out asos. They should have something similar. Hope that helps.

Anonymous said...

Where can I find that second dress??!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

exPress-o All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk