Shake On It!

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Are you a hand-shaker or a casual hand-waver? 

The other day I read an interesting article about the significance of a good hand shake. As much as we all think it’s one of those totally insignificant habits, if done right, it can actually be a great first impression booster. Ha, who would have thought, right?

It’s commonly known that a firm grip makes a great impression on work associates but according to Caroline Goyder, a gentle and relaxed handshake triggers all sorts of positive hormones in the other person’s body too, which is good news for me, as I’m more of a relaxed shaker.

Plus, the best tip ever? Well, if you're like me and get a bit nervous about work meetings or meeting up new people for a coffee or even going on a first date, here is a great tip for a fantastic first impression. :) Before you walk into a room, restaurant or café, try to visualise yourself standing in an open air place, because it makes you feel comfortable and then pretend you’re meeting an old friend. This will make you smile in a really natural way. Furthermore, if you imagine wearing a diamond necklace, your shoulders will drop, which relaxes your breathing and gets you to that calm place you want to be in. I can’t wait to try this out. You? xo

P.S: Plus, let's smile at total strangers and make someone's day by praising our own team:)

(Tips via Red Magazine. Photos via Irene (Gina Lollobrigida & Queen at the royal film premiere of 'To Catch a Thief' in London, 1955), Corbis (Queen Elizabeth & John Kennedy Jr. 1965), History by Zim (Queen Elizabeth & Marilyn Monroe, 1956) & Steroge)

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love those tips. They seem so simple and as you, I can't wait to try them out.

-Ola

Chloe Moon said...

I'm a hand shaker. I've always learned that a firm handshake promotes confidence and mental strength so I take quite pride in my handshaking abilities!! =)

Ergo - Blog

Chrissy said...

Love these tips as we Europeans are known for shaking hands. I don't like to shake hands with everyone though...I sometimes turn into a germaphobic and if someone doesn't look 'hand shake-worthy' to me (haha), I just wave.
Happy Tuesday xxx

Christianna said...

I love shaking hands! It's kinda my thing. That is if I don't go straight in for a hug, lol!

Natalia Gutierrez said...

That's just what I needed to read today, I've been feeling so insecure and I don't know how but this post made me regain some confidence. Thank you!

Emmy said...

I do both--I think it really depends on the other person's body language. I try to do handshakes since I believe that it's more polite. =)

Diana Mieczan said...

I love that, Chloe:)

Diana Mieczan said...

Chrissy, you made me giggle with - "hand shake-worthy" LOVE that:) Btw: I am totally like you. Sometimes I rather wave:)

Diana Mieczan said...

Aww..that is so sweet Christianna :)

Diana Mieczan said...

Aww I am SO happy about that, Natalia!!!! That is fantastic:) Your comment totally made my week. xoxo

Floortje van Cooten said...

Great blog dear! Love your posts :)

Diana Mieczan said...

Thank you, Floortje:) So sweet of you:)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

exPress-o All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk