Have you seen Silver Linings Playbook? I’m so curious to hear your thoughts on it. As I mentioned before Balazs and I like to wait out the awards season before catching those films that created the biggest buzz. This one was one of those films with eight Oscar nominations and already pretty high expectations after reading the book (thanks, Monique). Critics couldn’t agree if it’s amazing or if it sucks, so that added to the excitement.
The thing is that when you go into watching a film like this, you have an idea that it will be a heavy duty drama with mental illness, broken marriages and on top of it all, a bit of obsessive-compulsive disorder. And yes, it’s all of it and so much more. The whole subject of a family struggling with mental illness is addressed in the most engaging, beautiful and very human way. There are moments when you want to cry, others that you want to cover your eyes and shout on the telly and there are also those that make you smile and even giggle at times. I loved how the film humanized the family's struggles and made it ok. They all love each other, they all want the best for each other and the best part – they all let each other be who they want to be:) A must see – promise!
Bits and bobs:
- The film is based on Matthew Quick's novel with the same title.
- Also, the film was a gift from the director to his son who also has bipolar disorder.
- Here David O. Russell (the director) explains what he wanted to achieve with this film.
- The dance scene blew me away. It was so incredible and I was literally cheering standing up!
- Here Bradley Cooper (main character) is talking about his role in the film.
- Here Jennifer Lawrence (main character) talks about her character. She is so cool!
- She won the Oscar for her role as leading actress in the film.
- Here is her heart-warming speech.
- Giggle - you just have to watch this:)
- I loved Bradley in The Hangover and the 2011 - Limitless.
- But he was hilarious in Wedding Crashers, wasn't he?
- Btw: have you heard? The Hangover Part 3 is coming to cinemas on 24th of May!
- Fancy a sneak peek? (Giggle).
- Jennifer's family talked about her sudden huge success.
- And here she chats with the funny man, David Letterman:)
- Robert De Niro played brilliantly the father in the film. He is such an amazing actor, isn't he?
- I totally loved him in Meet the Parents. It's my guilty pleasure watch:)
- Jacki Weaver played the sweet mom in the film and you might also remember her from The Five-Year Engagement or Animal Kingdom.
- 'We're not free from the mysticism of life'.
P.S: Plus, here are a few other films that I adore right now.
(Photos via IMDb)