exPress-o Film Club: Silver Linings Playbook

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Have you seen Silver Linings Playbook? I’m so curious to hear your thoughts on it. As I mentioned before Balazs and I like to wait out the awards season before catching those films that created the biggest buzz. This one was one of those films with eight Oscar nominations and already pretty high expectations after reading the book (thanks, Monique). Critics couldn’t agree if it’s amazing or if it sucks, so that added to the excitement.

The thing is that when you go into watching a film like this, you have an idea that it will be a heavy duty drama with mental illness, broken marriages and on top of it all, a bit of obsessive-compulsive disorder. And yes, it’s all of it and so much more. The whole subject of a family struggling with mental illness is addressed in the most engaging, beautiful and very human way. There are moments when you want to cry, others that you want to cover your eyes and shout on the telly and there are also those that make you smile and even giggle at times. I loved how the film humanized the family's struggles and made it ok. They all love each other, they all want the best for each other and the best part – they all let each other be who they want to be:) A must see – promise!

Bits and bobs:
- The film is based on Matthew Quick's novel with the same title.
- Also, the film was a gift from the director to his son who also has bipolar disorder.
- Here David O. Russell (the director) explains what he wanted to achieve with this film.
- The dance scene blew me away. It was so incredible and I was literally cheering standing up!
- Here Bradley Cooper (main character) is talking about his role in the film.
- Here Jennifer Lawrence (main character) talks about her character. She is so cool!
- She won the Oscar for her role as leading actress in the film.
- Here is her heart-warming speech.
- Giggle - you just have to watch this:)
- I loved Bradley in The Hangover and the 2011 - Limitless.
- But he was hilarious in Wedding Crashers, wasn't he?
- Btw: have you heard? The Hangover Part 3 is coming to cinemas on 24th of May!
- Fancy a sneak peek? (Giggle).
- Jennifer's family talked about her sudden huge success.
-  And here she chats with the funny man, David Letterman:)
- Robert De Niro played brilliantly the father in the film. He is such an amazing actor, isn't he?
- I totally loved him in Meet the Parents. It's my guilty pleasure watch:)
- Jacki Weaver played the sweet mom in the film and you might also remember her from The Five-Year Engagement or Animal Kingdom.
- 'We're not free from the mysticism of life'.

P.S: Plus, here are a few other films that I adore right now.

(Photos via IMDb)

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

I felt the same way. I liked a lot that the illness was humanized and the acting was very impressive. Great read Diana. I love your movie posts. Love, Amy

gina said...

I really liked this movie and thought that bradley cooper did a great job. I read the book before seeing the film and he was ale to really bring the main character to life. The book is a must read too :).

Anna S said...

I love Bradley Cooper, those eyes...that body!

Joyti said...

I have not seen the movie, but it sounds interesting. Seeing as more and more people are being diagnosed with mental disorders (I think because "feeling sad all the time", or "drinking too much", etc are being recognized as mental disorders that are treatable now)...the message of the movie is an important and timely one. Thanks for sharing your viewpoint.

Ethaney said...

i am not the biggest fan of bradley cooper (i know, what's wrong with me!) but i am however, a massive fan of jennifer lawrence. i saw this movie on the plane to california to visit my family and i didn't really care for it at first but ended up really loving it towards the end. i thought it was an honest portrayal of relationships and deeper issues that i'm glad they tackled. i was very pleasantly surprised by it!

Dancing Branflake said...

I wanted to see this SO BAD and now after reading this I want to see it even more.

Diana Mieczan said...

So happy about that, Amy and yes, the acting was really spot on. Both, Jennifer and Bradley were incredible!!!

Diana Mieczan said...

Anna:) Yup, he is adorable:)

Diana Mieczan said...

That is a very good point, Joyti! The issue of mental disorders or sadness is so very present right now.

Diana Mieczan said...

Ethaney, I agree...it starts off a bit slow. Btw: Your Bradley comment made me giggle and yes, Jennifer is AMAZING!!! What a huge talent.

Diana Mieczan said...

Tiffany, you will LOVE it:)

Diana Mieczan said...

I totally agree, Gina! The book was fantastic as well. He did a great job bringing the main character to life.

Monique Bellavia said...

I still haven't seen this film but I did read the book and i absolutely loved it. I did however seen Bradley's new film "The Place beyond the pines" So dark and really good!

va said...

loved the film :) saw it twice

little t said...

I ADORED this film. Best film of the year, definitely!

Martie @ Spunkyrella said...

That´s one of the movies I wanted to watch for a while now. I am going back and forth if I should read the novel first - what do you think?

I don´t like to watch movies and read the books afterwards!

Diana Mieczan said...

The book was amazing, indeed, Monique:) Btw: SO going to see "The Place beyond the pines". It sounds super interesting! Thank you:)

Diana Mieczan said...

va, awesome:)

Diana Mieczan said...

Martie, I would say to read it first. That is what I did and it really worked for me. I loved both:)

Elisa @ Globetrotting in Heels said...

I've been wanting to see this! I'm running so behind on movies these days - I also have The Perks of Being a Wallflower on DVD and haven't managed to watch that either!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

exPress-o All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk