Ballerina Feet

Monday, April 15, 2013

Did you know that ballerinas put their entire body weight on their big toes? Incredible, isn’t it? When we look at their flawless arches or their ability to float in the air while dancing, we don’t really think of how much pain, work and dedication goes into the process.

Till a few days ago I had no idea that something seemingly insignificant as ‘breaking in’ pointe shoes is one of the most important daily rituals of a professional ballerina. It's mind blowing to see how each ballerina tailors their new pair of pointe shoes to suit their needs, help them support their feet and prevent them from injuries. They all have different techniques from soaking their feet in hard spirits or taping them to even tailoring each new pair with sewing, scraping and moulding. The totally incredible part is that despite all that work and pain they find the whole process almost meditative and enjoyable. As one of the ballerinas in the video said: ‘My feet are doing a job and they’re adapting to that job and I kind of like them the way they are’. Beautiful! I'm in awe of those incredible women! You? xo

P.S: Remember the "unlikely-ballerina"?
P.P.S: Desperately perfect - ballet.

(Photos via KULfoto & The Ballet. The EN POINTE! video by The Apiary via Frolic)

15 comments:

Hogger and Co. said...

Ouch...that first image is hard to look at.
I'm in awe of the gracefulness of ballet performers...the SHEER Strength. It's remarkable.

HiLLjO said...

Yes, ma'am!!! I used to dance and if you don't have abs/back muscles it hurts much worse. Your core has to be as strong as your feet!

Chloe Moon said...

I remember when I took ballet when I was younger and the older girls were on pointe and I couldn't understand until years later why they would be wrapping their toes w/ gauze and lamb skin. Now I understand and it's amazingly crazy what they do for the beauty of the dance! =)

Ergo - Blog

Dancing Branflake said...

You're speaking my language! My feet are my life. Taking care of them is more important than taking care of my hair, skin, or nails.

I love this post. Preach on!

Diana Mieczan said...

Smita, so well said. Remarkable, indeed!

Diana Mieczan said...

I bet, HiLLjO! It's so incredible.

Diana Mieczan said...

Chloe, totally agree. They really are incredible.

Diana Mieczan said...

Awww...Tiffany!!! You're amazing:)

Kait said...

oh yes! i used to be a ballerina and my feet have continued to suffer ever since... the sacrifices they make!

Chrissy said...

This is amazing! I think ballerinas in pointe shoes are so beautiful! Thanks for sharing this! xxx

Emmy said...

This is a great and intriguing video! My mom always wanted to put me in ballet when I was little, but I don't think she ever had this in mind when she thought of it.

Now I want to watch the Black Swan. =)

~www.simplybellezza.com

Diana Mieczan said...

Totally, Chrissy:)

Diana Mieczan said...

Emmy, Black Swan is amazing. We watched it twice.

tutusandtea said...

This was just lovely! What an honestly true portrayal of our daily routine as ballet dancers.. Thank you for sharing this dear!

Diana Mieczan said...

Aww..my pleasure, tutusandtea:)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

exPress-o All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk