Spring Awakening: Tulips

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Do fresh flowers brighten your days? Well, since the official spring is literally around the corner and I’m pretty sure that most of us crave those breezy spring walks and endless sunshine that makes our nose wrinkle, I decided that it would be fun to start a little spring series. Are you game?

Well, each week for the whole season I'll be posting photos of my favourite spring flowers in bloom that I buy weekly for our flat together with some fun facts about those beautiful gems. This way I'll stay motivated to pick up a fresh bunch each week and maybe even inspire you, darlings, to pick up a bunch yourself. 

Let’s enjoy the simple things in life, shall we?

Well, first up are tulips! Tulips are the third most popular flowers in the world, after roses and chrysanthemums. I got this pretty bunch exactly a week ago and thanks to this nifty little trick, they are keeping strong despite florists saying that they only last up to 7 days.

Fun facts: did you know that red tulips symbolize true love? According to the legend, tulips sprang up from the drops of blood shed by a prince who was heart-broken when he was told that his true love had been killed. Yellow tulips symbolize happiness and happy thoughts while white tulips symbolize forgiveness. Interesting, isn’t it?
Also, my friend who is a florist swears that tulips grow about an inch from the point you put them in a vase of fresh water. As a kid I remember my grandma telling me that back in the day people used to use tulip bulbs as onion substitute. Also, it’s common for people to eat parts of tulips in some cultures. Supposedly, petals taste like lettuce. Who would have thought?

Lovelies, what’s your favourite spring flower? xo

P.S: Salt, pepper and flowers?
P.P.S: Peonies and ranunculus:)

(Photos and layout by exPress-o)

19 comments:

Currumichuti said...

absolutely gorgeous! ...pure inspiration!
thank you Diana
Love
Lauren

Ethaney said...

tulips are me and my mom's favorite flower. they are so beautiful! and i love that you posted what each color means...i find that so interesting. xo!!

Fashion art and other fancies said...

I adore spring. Everything springs to life! It's snowing here in Europe so all one can do is dream of spring bloom;)

CHEVRON and GEOMETRICS said...

Tulips speak spring perfection. I'm totally game for this flower game. Flowers DO brighten my day. They're breathtaking every time.
xxxx

Carol {Everyday Delights} said...

I love tulips too! Great pictures!

holtkamp said...

i totally agree with you! fresh flowers brighten my mood and any room!

Chrissy said...

So pretty! I love fresh flowers, especially tulips! xxx

McKenna Ryan said...

I have bulbs sprouting in the garden of my h=new home. I still don't know whether they are tulips or daffodils but I am so excited either way! I love spring. xx. McKenna Lou
www.lynnandlou.com

Monique Bellavia said...

So beautiful! I just bought some tulips last week and they did last over a week!

Hannah Q. Parris said...

Z sent some beautiful yellow tulips to my office yesterday for my birthday, so I'm enjoying a bit of Spring here at work (even though there's lots of snow outside)!

Mal said...

Tulips are so lovely and cheerful!

Mal @ The Chic Geek

Stephanie said...

So pretty! I love spring flowers, but most of them are toxic to dogs (basically, anything that's a bulb is a no-no), so I don't have any in my yard. :-( But I totally love the idea for this series of posts, looking forward to seeing more gorgeous flower photos!

Diana Mieczan said...

Aww..Lauren:) I LOVE your comment.

Diana Mieczan said...

I love tulips as well, Ethaney. There is something so very sweet and fresh about them, isn't it?

Diana Mieczan said...

Stay cozy, Fashion art and other fancies!

Diana Mieczan said...

Lou, I am so excited for you:) When my Paperwhites bloomed I was over the moon!!!

Diana Mieczan said...

Monique, YAY! And Hannah, happy birthday, lovely!

Diana Mieczan said...

Stephanie, :)

Diana Mieczan said...

Thank you for all those sweet comments, lovelies!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

exPress-o All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk