Hong Kong's Cubicle Flats

Monday, March 4, 2013

Could you live in a place like this? I feel incredibly claustrophobic and utterly heart-broken just by looking at those photographs. Sadly, those spaces are in fact Hong Kong's real cubicle flats photographed from a bird's-eye-view where about 100.000 of Hong Kongese people live. Each flat is about 40-square-foot (3.7 m²) which is basically one tiny room where families try to divide each corner into different contained areas. The project was commissioned by SoCO, a human rights group aiming to improve these poor living conditions.

Oh boy, if I ever felt cramped in our flat, now I have a totally new found appreciation for the space I can enjoy. What an eye opener, don’t you think? xo

P.S: A soldier's story.
(via Index and Guardian)

13 comments:

Melissa Blake said...

Not THAT'S a tiny place...not sure I could do it lol :)

Anonymous said...

What an reality check. Sad that people live in such a poverty. Cheers, Grace

Anonymous said...

I didn't live in such a tiny space, but I shared for my first 18 years of life a small studio (11 square feet) with my parents. It has been really difficult and the main reason was the lack of privacy (now I think what a relief must have been for my folks to have the house only for themselves in the summer when I was at my grandparents). But a thing like this can only make you stronger!

Laura Bear said...

Wow that is amazing. Really makes me appreciate things a bit more. And that I really do not need all this stuff!

Chloe Moon said...

And I thought my apartment was small....WOW!!! that's crazy!! I hope that human rights group is successful!! =)

Ergo-Blog

little t said...

This is crazy and so depressing. I'm not claustrophobic at all but I couldn't bear to be in one of these places for more than a few min! The population issue there is awful.

Diana Mieczan said...

I agree, Grace.

Diana Mieczan said...

Anonymous, thank you for sharing your story and I totally agree with you: "things like that only can make you stronger" - indeed!

Diana Mieczan said...

Laura, right? I felt the same way when I spotted them for the first time.

Lady Grey said...

you're right, it is heart-breaking. We are so lucky here in North America.... it isn't really fair, is it?

Kristina said...

Gosh, that is horrible! 3.7 m2? Unbelievable!!

Diana Mieczan said...

Vanessa, it really isn't....So sad!

Diana Mieczan said...

Yup, Kristina! That small...

Related Posts with Thumbnails

exPress-o All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk