Guardians Of Russian Art

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Have you ever wondered about the always present museum guards? You know those (mostly) older ladies sitting or strolling around the sculptures/paintings in their slippers, their cardigan hanging off their shoulders? I’ve always thought that they have the best seats to people-watching but I also thought that their job can get a bit monotone at times since they are mostly treated as an inherit part of the art-piece.  

Well, I couldn’t be more wrong. A brilliant photographer, Andy Freeberg wanted to explore the subject a bit more and since he thought guardians were very intriguing, he created an amazing series of photographs giving each guardian a voice. While taking their photos, they told him how much they enjoy being among Russia’s great art. One of the ladies even said that she often returns the Moscow’s State Tretyakov Gallery on her day-off to sit in front of a painting that reminds her of her childhood home. Another guard travels three hours each day to work, since at home she would just sit on her porch and complain about her illnesses, “as old women do.” She'd much rather be at the museum enjoying people watching, surrounded by the history of her country.  Ha, incredible!

P.S: Also, scratching the surface.
P.P.S: Emotions on the street.

(via Sho & Tell via Freunde von Freunden)

6 comments:

Dancing Branflake said...

So incredibly inspiring and thoughtful. Who would have guessed?

Ana Degenaar said...

This is genius. I've enjoyed it so much. Thank you, D! xx

Chloe Moon said...

I think it would be a dream job for me. I could stare at a painting and I guarantee weeks later would one day notice something different that I've missed!! =)

Ergo - Blog

Diana Mieczan said...

So true, Tiffany! Next time I am at a gallery or a museum I'll look out for the guards.

Diana Mieczan said...

My pleasure, Ana!

Diana Mieczan said...

Ha, totally, Chloe:) Good point.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

exPress-o All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk