exPress-o Film Club: Take This Waltz

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Have you seen Take This Waltz? I’d love to hear your thoughts...

Balazs and I watched it last night and I can honestly say that I haven’t stop thinking about the plot ever since. It’s one of those movies that goes beyond what can be explained or interpreted and lets each viewer decide what to take away from it.

For me it’s a brilliantly acted one-sided sad story of a 5 year marriage in crises where the main character, Margot finds herself feeling empty and longing for something different than what her life became. The routine of everyday doesn’t excite her anymore and by not realizing that everything new eventually becomes old or everything exciting becomes regular, she takes the plunge and gets involved in an affair with a new guy who conveniently lives just across the street. Despite the fact that the in-between state is her biggest fear, she lets her emotions take over – in a teenager type of way. You know when they say that you only appreciate someone when you lose them? Well, for me that is how she felt in the last scene of the film.

Love is not perfect, deceitfulness has many faces and often the beginning of the end starts with emotional connection. It’s like a glimpse of what could happen if you let yourself go in that one tiny moment of passion. Is it worth it…? A must see in the most compelling way and a great conversation starter: love versus lust; when or how people make the decision to stay or leave a relationship.

Bits and bobs:
- Sarah Polley wrote and directed this film.
- Another great project of hers is the 2012 documentary, Stories we tell.
- Here she talks about this film:)
- I find Michelle Williams brilliant. Do you?
- Did you see My week with Marilyn with her? Or Shutter Island? She blew me away!
- And I bet that you totally remember her from Dawson's Creek.
- Sarah Silverman had a little role in the film and here are her thoughts on it.
- Have you watched The Sarah Silverman Program?
- The lovelable Seth Rogen played the husband.
- He was hilarious in Knocked Up!
- Did you know that he actually co-wrote Superbad?
- Plus, I'm only four days older than he is, ha!
- Luke Kirby aka the other guy is mostly a tv actor but very cute for sure!
- You might rememebr him from the 2003 film, Mambo Italiano.
- Seth and Paul Rudd in a Super Bowl commerical - giggle.
- 10 questions for Michelle Willams and how motherhood changed her.
- Seth and Sesame Street:)

P.S: Plus, a few other films that I love right now.

(Photos via IMDb)


Chloe Moon said...

I fell in love with Seth Rogen in this movie with the water in the shower. The scene where he's crying at the kitchen table was so real. I want to hate Margot yet I can't for some odd reason. There are such amazing scenes in this movie that I have to watch it again! I loved the scene on the ride with her and the neighbor. I'm still curious who is in the kitchen in that first scene with's so blurry it's hard to tell! I really enjoyed this film as I guess you can tell from the book comment!! hehe =)

Ergo - Blog

Eliza Jane said...

Oooh! I hadn't even heard of this movie! Now it's top of my list! I adore Sarah Polly (did you know she's Canadian? And got her start as a child actor on the much-loved Canadian TV show "Road to Avonley"), and Seth Rogen (also Canadian; from Vancouver) AND Michelle Williams. I think she's amazing. Eeek I'm excited! Thanks darling! x

Ethaney said...

yes! i loved this movie. i thought it was so sad. like the other person posted, i really wanted to hate margot but i empathized with her. such a good role for seth rogan...i love him being his raunchy self but this was a great change for him!

Melissa Blake said...

ooooh, i love movies like this. Definitely adding it to my must-watch list!

Tish said...

It sounds intriguing dear. I'll add it to my queue :)

Lady Grey said...

I absolutely loved this film - it was so real, and so raw. And I also found myself thinking about it for days afterwards. The ending is what makes the film, in my opinion... It's so easy to fall into the trap of new & exciting when it comes to love.... but even new things get old eventually.
It's a brilliant film!

Anonymous said...

I am in exact the same position right now after 5 years in my relationship. Not that I want to have an affair but this intense feeling of ending it.......

I will definitely watch it. Thanks.

Diana Mieczan said...

Chloe, I know what you mean...the water thing was so sweet and the way he had the conversation with her at the table....Oh boy, he was brilliant!

Diana Mieczan said...

Btw: Chloe, it was Daniel.

Diana Mieczan said...

I felt the same way, Ethaney!

Diana Mieczan said...

I think you will love it, Tish!

Diana Mieczan said...

Totally, ending made the whole movie come together, didn't it, Vanessa?

Diana Mieczan said...

Oh I am so sorry, Anonymous.

Diana Mieczan said...

Eliza, yes, I really enjoy her movies and I read a bit about her before so I knew she is Canadian. You should totally watch truly was incredible.

Lena said...

Thank you for the recommendation, will run to my Redbox tomorrow!;)

Monique Bellavia said...

Ok I need to watch this film. It sounds beautful.

Diana Mieczan said...

My pleasure, Lena:)

Oh, My Darling said...

I completely adored this movie! Michelle Williams is always so enchanting.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

exPress-o All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk