Have you seen Hope Springs? What did you think? Last week while Balazs was working late I made myself roasted garlic and spent the night watching this film. It’s one of those slow-burners that appear to be a comedy but in fact is a heartfelt real-people drama with a few hilarious twists.
It’s a very raw and honest portrayal of a couple 30+ years into their marriage, who lost their sparkle in and out of the bedroom. The couple played by this incredible twosome found themselves feeling lonely, living as roommate and going through the motions of every day without actually feeling anything. It’s one of those films that makes you cringe when the sex talk comes up but you can’t stop watching through your fingers. It’s endearing, hilarious, sad, full of hope and beautiful. I have to admit that in parts I laughed my head off, while in others I got teary and by the end I cheered them on while they tried to rekindle their emotions toward each other. A brilliant watch, I promise!
Bit and bobs:
- Marriage advice: What Hope Springs got right.
- David Frankle directed this movie. He also directed Marley & Me, The Devil Wears Prada (with Meryl Streep) and a bunch of Sex and the City episodes, to name a few.
- Steve Carell on the film. He played Doctor Feld.
- I loved him in Crazy, Stupid, Love, Date Night, Seeking a Friend for the End of the World and of course, The Office.
- This film fulfilled Tommy Lee Jones' dream to act with Meryl Streep.
- Speaking of Meryl, I LOVED her in It's Complicated. You?
- Best of Meryl's interviews - so cool!
- Tommy Lee Jones (the husband) recently played in Lincoln. Have you see it? And back in 94 he played in Cobb.
- Here are a few fun facts about our beloved Steve.
- Many faces of Meryl Streep.
- She is hilarious!
- Tommy Lee is directing and acting in a new film, The Homesman together with Meryl and Hilary Swank.
- Meryl's 2012 BAFTA's speech when she won as leading actress for The Iron Lady! So amazing.
- Meryl on marriage.
- A very interesting Inside The Actors Studio with Tommy Lee Jones.
P.S: Plus, a few other cool films that you might like.
(Photos via IMDb)