exPress-o Film Club: Hope Springs

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Have you seen Hope Springs? What did you think? Last week while Balazs was working late I made myself roasted garlic and spent the night watching this film. It’s one of those slow-burners that appear to be a comedy but in fact is a heartfelt real-people drama with a few hilarious twists.

It’s a very raw and honest portrayal of a couple 30+ years into their marriage, who lost their sparkle in and out of the bedroom. The couple played by this incredible twosome found themselves feeling lonely, living as roommate and going through the motions of every day without actually feeling anything. It’s one of those films that makes you cringe when the sex talk comes up but you can’t stop watching through your fingers. It’s endearing, hilarious, sad, full of hope and beautiful. I have to admit that in parts I laughed my head off, while in others I got teary and by the end I cheered them on while they tried to rekindle their emotions toward each other. A brilliant watch, I promise!
Bit and bobs:
- Marriage advice: What Hope Springs got right.
- David Frankle directed this movie. He also directed Marley & Me, The Devil Wears Prada (with Meryl Streep) and a bunch of Sex and the City episodes, to name a few.
- Steve Carell on the film. He played Doctor Feld.
- I loved him in Crazy, Stupid, Love, Date Night, Seeking a Friend for the End of the World and of course, The Office.
- This film fulfilled Tommy Lee Jones' dream to act with Meryl Streep.
- Speaking of Meryl, I LOVED her in It's Complicated. You?
- Best of Meryl's interviews - so cool!
- Tommy Lee Jones (the husband) recently played in Lincoln. Have you see it? And back in 94 he played in Cobb.
- Here are a few fun facts about our beloved Steve.
- Many faces of Meryl Streep.
- She is hilarious!
- Tommy Lee is directing and acting in a new film, The Homesman together with Meryl and Hilary Swank.
- Meryl's 2012 BAFTA's speech when she won as leading actress for The Iron Lady! So amazing.
- Meryl on marriage.
- A very interesting Inside The Actors Studio with Tommy Lee Jones.

P.S: Plus, a few other cool films that you might like.

(Photos via IMDb)

9 comments:

emmy d said...

I loved this movie! My husband characterized it as a chick flick, but he says that about any movie that doesn't involve things that blow up. Another great Steve Carell movie was "Dan in Real Life", also with Juliette Binoche.

Chloe Moon said...

Oooo I wanted to see this!!! I have to see if my library has it yet!! =)

Ergo-Blog

That's Not My Age said...

You've just reminded me about this movie - It's on my list!

Emmy said...

I just saw this a few weeks ago and really enjoyed it. I haven't been married, but it definitely makes me realize how much I'll need to invest to make a commitment work. I loved how honest it was too. It reminded me a lot of my own family (sans sex parts, lol).

Ana Degenaar said...

Oh gosh! this us so amazing! love love love films.

McKenna Ryan said...

So I really wanted to see this movie when it was in theaters. I am so glad to hear you loved it. I will definitely be renting it now when the Mr has to work late. xx. McKenna Lou
www.lynnandlou.com

Diana Mieczan said...

Emmy, totally loved "Dan in Real Life"!

Diana Mieczan said...

Emmy, totally. Honest film, indeed. I LOVE that.

Diana Mieczan said...

Me too, Ana!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

exPress-o All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk