exPress-o Film Club: Argo

Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Lovelies, have you seen Argo? What did you think? Balazs and I are huge movie people but having said that, we often wait to watch certain films only after the awards season is over. That is exactly what happened with Argo. Even though the movie buzz was out of this world and the film won multiple Golden Globe, SAG, Bafta and Oscar awards, we only caught it last Saturday. There is something intriguing about watching a film after having heard so much about it - do you experience that too?

Anyway, it was worth the wait as three days later I still have it on my mind. There were moments during the film that I was literally sitting on the edge of the sofa full of excitement and anticipation while clenching my fists in uncertainty of what will happen next. It's a real-life-true-story-race-against-the-clock with a very clever sense of history, the glorious 70s, a spot on balance of seriousness and light-heartedness. It's one of the most suspenseful films I’ve seen in a long while. Two thumbs up from me :) I'd love to hear your take on it....xo

Bits and bobs:
- Ben Affleck played the main character the CIA agent Tony Mendez in the film and he also directed it.
- Another film of his that I adore is the 2010 The Town. Incredible!
- Bryan Cranston played Jack O'Donnell and you might also remember him from Breaking Bad.
- Ben on the film and the 1979 hostage crisis.
- Ben and the real-life CIA Hero - incredible!
- The awesome Alan Arkin aka Lester Siegel is the man who played Joe in Sunshine Cleaning:)
Ben seems like a pretty cool guy, doesn't he?
- Tony Mendez the CIA agent the movie was based on.
- John Goodman & Bryan Cranston talk about playing in the film.
- Remember John Goodman from Roseanne? He was brilliant in Argo!
- George Clooney's thoughts on the film.
- The power of storytelling.
- And Ben shaved his beard after the Oscars.

P.S: Plus, a few other films that rock my world right now.

(Photos via IMDb)

23 comments:

April Sharman said...

I have been waiting to see this movie since I saw the trailer at the cinema way back when I saw the hobbit... I must get around to seeing it!

Jaime @ La vie...J'aime said...

I loved this movie- so well done all around. Def deserved all the accolades.

Anonymous said...

I'm so behind on movies right now but this one is going to the top of my list. It sounds very interesting + I have a little crush on Ben. Jill

Kristina said...

Haven't seen it yet, but I am more and more intrigued to do so :)
Thanks for the great review!
Kristina x

holtkamp said...

loved this movie! exceeded my expectations too. am a huge BB fan so i loved seeing bryan cranston in it.

Ethaney said...

we saw this in theaters and it was so great. very intense!!

Blond Duck said...

I heard this was great!

Vintage Market Place said...

YES!!!
it was my birthday movie pick on Sunday.
IT WAS SO GOOD!!!!
My hubby said his palms were sweating.
It was so intense.
Definitely deserved all the awards it got.
Amy

Monica | Hola!design said...

yes i loved it too! such a great movie!

little t said...

I haven't seen it yet either. I think I'll watch it tonight!

Diana Mieczan said...

April, it's totally great!

Diana Mieczan said...

I totally agree, Jaime:)

Diana Mieczan said...

Jill, he is super adorable:)

Diana Mieczan said...

My pleasure, Kristina. I think you will like it a lot:)

Diana Mieczan said...

Amy, happy birthday, darling!!! What a great birthday movie pick. xoxo

the cape on the corner said...

i felt the same way about this movie, gripping the seat and all, and i thought that was especially interesting, considering we knew how it was going to end. that's some good story telling right there!

Monique Bellavia said...

Dyeing to see this movie!!! I also like waiting till after the awards to catch flicks. I actually decided to read Silver Linings playbook before seeing the movie. The book was great! If you haven't seen the movie yet I recommend the book for sure!

Marisa Seguin said...

I just watched Argo last night! I still feel like I'm processing it. Really enjoyed it and definitely want to learn more about the real-life events that inspired it.

Chic 'n Cheap Living said...

I thought this was a good movie and a very interesting recreation of the events. It was smart and I loved the scenes with interactions /near discoveries. However I don't actually understand the hype. It was predictable and the acting was just fine. But it is nice to have a movie about real and interesting events highlighted.

xoxo,
Chic 'n Cheap Living

Diana Mieczan said...

Oh totally, the cape on the corner!!! It was so good.

Diana Mieczan said...

I haven't seen it yet, Monique but I really want to since I read so many great things about it. I will totally take your advice and read the book first. Thank you:) Can't wait!

Diana Mieczan said...

Marisa, that is exactly how I felt after watching it too.

Punctuation Mark said...

I loved the movie and have always been his fan... Even during the bad years

Related Posts with Thumbnails

exPress-o All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk