exPress-o Film Club: Another Earth

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Have you seen the 2011 indie film called Another Earth? What did you think? Last week Balazs mentioned that he had a film saved for me that he thinks I’ll like. He watched it a few days earlier with the idea that it’s some type of super-natural-paranormal thriller yet it ended up to be almost the opposite - incredibly haunting yet very touching story of second chances, parallel lives and rediscovery. So, last night after being intrigued by Balazs’ description, I dived in and boy, oh boy what a film it was!  

It’s one of those stories that scares you yet makes you connect with the main characters on a very deep level. Brilliantly played by a relatively unknown actress, Brit Marling (someone to look out for) and William Mapother that I best know from Lost.

Just imagine your life changing in a matter of a second, a momentary lapse of judgement that affects you, devastates the lives of others, changes you and you end up feeling alienated. That’s what both of the main characters have to deal with besides the scary prospect that there might be another earth, an alternative reality that is a mirror-image of our own. Is that possible? Who knows… A must see for sure - a film where probably the biggest discovery of mankind is merely the backdrop of this emotional, human drama. Beautiful!

Bits and bobs:
- William also played in Mission Impossible 2 as Wallis and the very scary horror The Grudge.
- Here he talks about how he got the role and his feelings about the script.
- I have such a girl crush on Brit now.
- A brilliant interview with Mike Cahill and Brit. (Mike is the director of the film).
- Mike also directed a documentary called Boxers and Ballerinas back in 2004.
- If you want to follow Brit's daily happenings, you can follow her on Twitter.
- She is also on the April cover of Wmagazine. Beautiful!
- Btw: she is only four days older than me and she was born in Chicago:)
- The Sounds of My Voice looks like a great watch. Brit is not only starring in it but she also co-wrote it.
- Here she talks about her role in that film.
- One of my favourite quotes from the movie: "Listen to me. Keep your mind clear. And that's it. You will have peace of mind. My dear, don't worry. Learn to adjust yourself."
- If you liked last week's film club choice, you will love this one too. Promise:)

P.S: Plus, a few other films that I love right now.

(Photos via IMDb)

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Diana I wanted to tell you that I weekly wait with a great deal of anticipation for your movie posts. They give a great inside to the feel of the story. I'm bookmarking this one right now. Cheers, Grace.

Blair @ Wild & Precious said...

Really enjoyed this movie !

Monique Bellavia said...

I LOVE your movie posts. Opens me up to new and different movies. Whether I've hard of them or not, I get a true feel for them. :)

Michelle said...

The amazing saw music scene in Another Earth:
http://vimeo.com/32468922

Lena said...

I love your movie posts too, we have the exact style!:) I can't wait to see this one, I just don't know where to find it. And Brit is so gorgeous, i think I've got crush on her too:). Looks like Julia Ormond a little.

Dominika said...

I haven't heard of that movie before. Need to check and see! Hugz.

Diana Mieczan said...

That is so sweet of you to say, Grace! Thank you:)

Diana Mieczan said...

Awww....I LOVE your comment, Monique:) I have the best readers. xoxo

Diana Mieczan said...

Thanks for the link, Michelle! I adore that scene. Incredible, isn't it?

Diana Mieczan said...

Aww..Lena, you are so sweet! Thanks:) Btw: You should try Hulu, I bet that you can watch it there. And she totally does look like Julia Ormond a little. The first time I spotted her I thought she looked like younger Elizabeth Gilbert.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

exPress-o All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk