Winter Blues Remedy

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Do you grow herbs in your kitchen? One of the most effective winter-blues remedies I've tried so far was creating my own window herb garden. There is something so cheerfully wonderful about tons of greenery that spreads the most divine scent around the whole flat. I even have a little lemon balm plant on my work desk and this rosemary plant on our coffee table. 

Big plus: you don't have to have a green thumb to be able to keep those goodies fresh and alive. You just need to keep to a few little basics and you are set.

Here are a few tricks I learned from my friend Paul:

- try to start your herb adventure with those four: sage, rosemary, parsley and thyme. They are easier to care for
-  always choose organic potting mix
- only water your herbs twice a week under the kitchen tap and only until the water runs out of the draining holes
- try not to wet the leaves
- the best place for herbs is a sunny window spot but not on a direct light.

That is it - easy, right? So, what do you say? Are you planning to start your little herb garden now? xo

P.S: Radiator-shelf plants and here is a brilliant window farm idea that I am dying to try!
P.P.S: A sassy GIVEAWAY Wednesday is coming up!

(Photos by/via Neest, Indulgy, Allison Jones, Décor de Provence and Jillm. Layout by exPress-o)

25 comments:

Rita Penner said...

ooo. those are easy to follow tips. thank you! i just received a rosemary plant last week and i hope it'll last a while with these tricks :-)

Tasia |Ruffles and Sequins| said...

Great inspo! My roomie is really into having fresh herbs in the summer, I should take a que from her and you and start my own mini stash :)

Marta said...

Great idea! The smell is good and of course you can then add your herbs to the food you cook! Best regards from Barcelona,
Marta
http://www.abilingualbb.blogspot.com

April Sharman said...

Great idea, I like the little herds in the buckets running along the window. A great idea to beat those winter blues and recycling old tubs and tins is a fab idea.

Diana Mieczan said...

Awesome, Rita:) Rosemary smells so good and makes food taste totally scrumptious:)

Diana Mieczan said...

You totally should, Tasia! Yay!

Diana Mieczan said...

Totally, Marta and April, spot on! Love your comment.

little t said...

I love how they are growing in tea tins!

Sheila Siler said...

It all looks lovely! Wish I had windows like that. I have two plants and the only thing that keeps them alive are my watering globes.

Young at Heart said...

ooh they do look so fabulous....I have such limited light in my kitchen but I would love to grow herbs!!

Monique said...

Thank you for the tips!! In our last apartment we had a terrace and in the summers I would grow mint and Basil. I'm definitely going to try some winter herbs now! Especially because I have the perfect little window for it!

Melissa Blake said...

Those are gorgeous!! It's not to know you don't need a green thumb to do it, either...i have zero skills when it comes to planting and gardening!

HiLLjO said...

Plants make everything look so much more substantial and fluffy. Fills in spaces you didn't know were empty!

McKenna Ryan said...

I have never had plants in my house because I am simply too afraid of killing them. Since I am getting a new place though I have made it a goal to buy myself some beautiful house plants. Hopefully they last longer then a day. xx. McKenna Lou
www.lynnandlou.com

Chloe Moon said...

This spring I definitely want to have at least a succulent or something! IT really brings life to a space!

Ergo - Blog

Christianna said...

Such a cute idea! I have a cactus named Wanda that I need to move into my room from the kitchen. I also need to get something cuter to put her in.

Diana Mieczan said...

You are so right, HiLLjO:)

Diana Mieczan said...

Lou, they will do great and congrats on your new place:)

Diana Mieczan said...

Chloe, succulents are perfect and so easy-going!

Diana Mieczan said...

Aww..wonderful, Monique! Oh, mint is so good, isn't it? I use it all the time to make tea or with salads. Yum!

Diana Mieczan said...

That is the cutest cactus name ever, Christianna!!!

Bryony said...

I've been hemming and hawing over this for ages! I want a little row of potted plants in the window so much...especially useful ones like these. Though I'd also love a tiny lavender plant. :)

Valerie Tyler said...

Gorgeous! I would love to do this but we're pretty shady from living near the woods. I'm still debating giving it a try

Diana Mieczan said...

Bryony, I am planning to get a few lavender plants soon too. They smell so amazing, don' they? (And are perfect for lavender lemonade).

Diana Mieczan said...

Valerie, I think you can give it a try and I bet it will work out:)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

exPress-o All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk