Relaxing = Productivity?

Monday, February 18, 2013

Do you ever feel like you are running out of steam? Trying to finish a project that doesn’t want to come together? Do you take work home or skip lunch just so you can catch up? Well, even though it’s hard to admit, I’ve been there before. Have you? The world nowadays tell us to be bigger, better and faster. It’s all about doing more, sleeping less and trying to catch time but the end result is that we are actually letting it slip right through our fingers. Having said that, there is a very simple solution to the perfect balance.

According to Tony Schwartz, by creating time to relax and re-energize, we're maximizing our results (in a faster and more efficient way).

'Like time, energy is finite; but unlike time, it is renewable. The importance of restoration is rooted in our physiology. Human beings aren’t designed to expend energy continuously. Rather, we’re meant to pulse between spending and recovering energy. The difference is that during the day we move from a state of alertness progressively into physiological fatigue approximately every 90 minutes. Our bodies regularly tell us to take a break, but we often override these signals and instead stoke ourselves up with caffeine, sugar and our own emergency reserves — the stress hormones adrenaline, noradrenaline and cortisol.'
Sounds familiar?
Well, ‘by managing energy more skilfully, it’s possible to get more done, in less time, more sustainably. The secret is simple and generally applicable. When we’re renewing, we’re truly renewing, so when we’re working, we can really work.’

Makes sense, doesn't it? The thing that I learned from the article was that naps are not only for kids and shouldn’t be considered guilty pleasures. So today when you get home and you feeling a bit worn out, take a 20 min nap instead of cleaning the kitchen or slip into your pj’s and read a book instead of making dinner.

What do you say? Let’s start recharging, shall we?
P.S: Just a little email update: Here is the new exPress-o email address: diana@expressoblog.onmicrosoft.com. You can always find it on the left side of the page under my photo. xo
P.P.S: How about a bubble bath?

(via The New York Times via Sassy Radish. Illustration by Golden Cosmos, top photos via Celeste and by Kristina Pedersen. Last image by Lisa Congdon)

10 comments:

Ethaney said...

i definitely need to take this to heart.

Chrissy said...

This is so true. Even today, for a split second I was contemplating taking work home to get it done sooner...but only for a split second and then I reminded myself that it can wait until tomorrow. So glad I did! Spending time with my girl is so much better!
Happy Monday, sweetie! xxx

Chloe Moon said...

The northeast U.S. got hit with a huge snow storm 2 weeks ago and I decided to stay home the Friday where the storm was threatening to hit midday. I called my boss and told her I was taking a personal day. I can't tell you how rejuvenating that day was. I had my lil home all to myself, I chilled out, wrote my stories, played video games, and just rebooted! I'm still feeling the effects of the reboot and I love it! It really is a great thing to take a moment and relax! =)

Ergo - Blog

Diana Mieczan said...

Chrissy, good for you!!! Well done for staying strong and not taking your work home.

Diana Mieczan said...

I love your comment, Chloe! Those little relaxing moments can transform into so much goodness.

HiLLjO said...

I had a hard time getting anything done for the baby... until I relaxed. After 20 weeks, I just let. everything. go.

And now I have like, a million things done. In 6 weeks. It WORKS!!!

tutusandtea said...

Absolutely love this, and naturally, agree with it entirely... It's way too easy to just keep on going, get worn out and then wonder where it has all gone ~ Here's to taking time to truly give back to ourselves so that ourselves can give back to us! Thank you for this!

Diana Mieczan said...

That is so awesome, HiLLjO:)

Diana Mieczan said...

Aww...I so adore your comment, tutusandtea! Spot on, sweetie.

Anonymous said...

I really like what you guys are usually up too.
Such clever work and exposure! Keep up the
great works guys I've added you guys to my personal blogroll.

my blog ... healthy diet plans
Also see my website: healthy diet plans

Related Posts with Thumbnails

exPress-o All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk