A Squeeze-Free Zone

Tuesday, February 12, 2013


What’s the one thing you always keep in mind while trying on new clothes? A few years ago I had a friend whose mom used to work in the fashion industry. She was always my go-to person to ask about trends and somehow I really trusted her opinion. The one piece of advice I got from her that stayed with me ever since was to not wear overly fitting clothes. Somehow they tend to create a very unnatural posture, restrict movement and only look great on a few lucky ladies:).

So, my rule is that whenever I’m trying a new tee, a sweater, a shirt, a dress or a blouse, I always get two sizes to try on: mine and a size bigger. I usually go with the size bigger as I adore the slouchyness , the movement the fabric creates and the ability to add a dash of sprezzatura to my everyday look. Above are a few of my favourite squeeze-free zone outfit ideas.

Darlings, would you wear any of those looks above? What’s your take on fashion: close-fitted or a bit looser? xo

P.S: Style tweaks: rolled-up pants.
P.P.S: How about some sassy dotts?

(Photos by/via Knit Dreams, Girlsack, Pennyweight, Little Girl - Big City, Kris Atomic,  The Sartorialist and Miss Moss)

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, that is my motto too. I feel very uncomfortable in tight tops and I would wear the third outfit from the bottom of the post all the time. Cheers, Grace

Chrissy said...

I do the same thing! It actually makes one look a lot slimmer than too tight clothes! Great piece of advice! xxx

Young at Heart said...

I want the hat!!

Olivia said...

YES! i've always found myself in slouchy/flow-like tops. not because i'm trying to hide from anything -- quite the contrary; i feel like i can breathe, like i am able to move. i hate feeling restricted in form-fitting clothes! thanks for this. =)

Just Another Shopaholic said...

I love all of these outfits!!

Giveaway on the blog to win a $15 credit to Stella and Dot!!
http://justanothershopaholic.blogspot.com/2013/02/giveaway-15-stella-and-dot-credit.html

Fashion art and other fancies said...

Excellet advise and a very fashionable set of images.

Ethaney said...

i follow this exactly. even when i was 18 or 19, i was really shy of wearing really tight clothing or really short dresses/shorts/skirts. i never feel comfortable when something is sticking to my skin like a second skin. i bet my mom was so relieved! ;) even now as an adult, i love the look of very loose clothing. sometimes i even buy tops/dresses a size bigger because i like the way it looks better than tighter clothes. body-con/bandage dresses seriously give me an anxiety attack! no thanks!

Chic 'n Cheap Living said...

I should do this more often. I'm petite so I usually just go with my size or I'll swim in clothing. It is so great to have a slouchy sweater though!

xoxo,
Chic 'n Cheap Living

Vintage Market Place said...

I couldn't agree more and so wish more woman would adopt this practice.
I am really sick of seeing gals in too tiny clothes. I think these looks here come off sexy and make the gals look comfortable in their skin.
Natural!
Amy

Laura Bear said...

I love that advice, and all of these looks are right up my alley. I am technically a "small" but large is the main size I buy in sweaters and tops. :)

CHEVRON and GEOMETRICS said...

I'm with you! I like them to be more loose-fitting. Generally, I just think it keeps things very comfortable and has this very nice easy breezy feminine touch. x

Bryony said...

It depends on what I have. In winter, I have loads of slouchy big jumpers, but then I pair them with leggings or thin jeans. And I do like having the occasional form-fitting tee, but I do agree that you should have room to breathe in your clothes. The trick is finding loose-fitting things that don't add bulk to your silhouette.

Diana Mieczan said...

Chrissy, so true! Great point.

Diana Mieczan said...

I totally agree with your comment, Olivia. So well said!

Diana Mieczan said...

I am totally with you on that, Ethaney. Super fitting clothes give me a huge anxiety attack too.

Diana Mieczan said...

That is exactly the word I was looking for, Amy - Natural! LOVE:)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

exPress-o All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk