SFPH: Homemade Granola

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Do you eat breakfast each morning? I try but if it wasn’t for Balazs, I would probably skip it sometimes and use that extra 30 mins for sleeping in or to take an extra long shower. Having said that, I started making my own granola last month and after going through a few different takes on it, I finally found my favourite combination. The best part is that a bowlful of my cranberry-oats-honey-cinnamon-and-almonds mix with 2 spoons of natural yoghurt makes me feel so good and full of energy – exactly like Popeye after his spinach snack :) Also, I always slice half of a banana on top as I read that it stimulates your happy hormones the same way as almonds do. Who would have thought?

Well, if you're thinking about jazzing up your breakfast, here is the full how...

Homemade Granola
(inspired by SCB – 3191 Miles Apart)


Ingredients:
* 6 cups rolled oats
* 2 cups almonds

* 2 cups dried cranberries
* 1 teaspoon cinnamon (You could also use ground ginger, or a combination of the two)
* 1/4 cup brown sugar
* 3/4 cup honey
* Dash Kosher salt


Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Mix oats, cinnamon, almonds and salt in a baking pan and set aside. In a small saucepan warm up the brown sugar and the honey until the sugar dissolves and the consistence becomes smooth. Pour the honey/sugar mix over the oats mixture and stir it well. 

Bake for approximately 20 minutes (it depends on the size of the granola batch and the size of the pan). Check every 5-10 minutes or so and give it a good stir. Approximately 15 minutes into the baking time take out your baking pan and add cranberries. Mix well and place the baking pan back into the oven for the last 5 minutes. Allow to cool and store in an air-tight jar. Ta dah!

Darlings, what’s your granola of choice? Would you try this one? xo

P.S: Remember those apple - granola sandwiches? Or those homemade granola bars?
P.P.S: And a few more of my favourite recipes.

(Photos by exPress-o. Layout by Ana Degenaar - Blog Milk for exPress-o. Thank you Ana for your help with this series).

23 comments:

Just Another Shopaholic said...

Oh my, homemade granola sounds so yummy!!

Anonymous said...

From tomorrow I am going to start eating breakfast granola. You just motivated me, thanks.

-Ola

HiLLjO said...

YUM! I might try that!
Pecans, chocolate chips, cherries and granola for me!

little t said...

I have my own recipe and its one of my favourite things to make. Never lasts long :)

Alexa said...

Homemade granola always tastes so much better!

Erika @ ~TiptoeButterfly~ said...

YUMMO!

Dancing Branflake said...

Oh my gosh! I have everything here! I'm totally making some today!

Diana Mieczan said...

How awesome, Ola:) YAY!

Diana Mieczan said...

HiLLjO, chocolate chips and cherries? Oh yum!!!

Anonymous said...

Once you try the olive oil granola recipe from the NYT you will never make a different version! It's highly addictive

Diana Mieczan said...

little t, I know the feeling:)

Diana Mieczan said...

So true, Alexa:)

Diana Mieczan said...

I am so happy about that, Tiffany!

Diana Mieczan said...

Anonymous, olive oil? Sounds super interesting.

McKenna Ryan said...

This looks super yummy! I would love to make this! xx. McKenna Lou
www.lynnandlou.blogspot.com

Lady Grey said...

I also make my own granola. There are so many recipes out there, and it's quite individual I find. But this recipe does look good. I've found that I prefer my granola on the sweeter side and I like that this recipe uses both brown sugar & honey. I usually combine maple syrup & honey. Anyway, I can't wait to try your version out : )
xo

Currumichuti said...

yummy and healthy! great option!
Love
Lauren

Punctuation Mark said...

Been trying to this at home but somehow always forget shopping list and then leave it for another day... Haha!

Diana Mieczan said...

Thanks, Vanessa:) I like it sweeter as well.

Diana Mieczan said...

Punctuation Mark:)

Monique said...

I've never made granola! I'm going to have to try this!

Diana Mieczan said...

Awesome, Monique:)

24 stunden Pflege said...

Looks wonderful with this beautiful honey! I need to eat more granola! ;-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

exPress-o All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk