exPress-o Film Club: Salmon Fishing in the Yemen

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Have you seen Salmon Fishing in the Yemen? What did you think? Balazs and I watched this uplifting British gem with our friends over the holidays and despite the fishing theme of the movie, it became one of my favourite films of 2012. Did you know that it was based on Paul Torday’s bestseller?

Well, I don’t know if it’s the great chemistry of the mismatched couple played by Ewan McGregor and Emily Blunt or the sentimental undertone of the story or perhaps the amazing scenery, but the movie totally rocked my socks off! It’s basically a fishing tale of fisheries expert Dr. Fred Jones who is hired by a consultant firm (and the beautiful Harriet herself) to bring fly-fishing to the desert and despite all the obstacles of the project, he finds himself, falls in love again and starts feeling alive. So, if you fancy a bit of laughter, the feeling of happiness and a few touching moments, this is the film for you :)

Bit and bobs:
- Emily and Ewan are both nominated for a Golden Globe award this year.
- Here Emily is talking about her nomination.
- Her beautiful acceptance speech from 2007.
- Great team!
- Ewan on Letterman:)
- I loved him in The Island.
- I can not wait to see him in The Impossible. Have you seen this film already? Seems so interesting and heartbreaking at the same time.
- An unmissable film with Ewan from way back: Trainspotting.
- Ewan has a thing for light sabres since he played in Star Wars as Obi-Wan Kenobi.
- On Emily...
- Amr Waked played the Sheikh Muhammed in the film.
- You might remember him from Syriana, 2005.
- Did you know that Ewan is Scotish? ( I adore his accent).
- He also had a little part on ER in 1997.
- Remember Five year engagement? Emily rocked it!
- She also played in Sunshine Cleaning.

P.S: Plus, a few other films that rock my world right now and 10 feel good films of my 20s!
P.P.S: What's your favourite telly couple?

(Photos via IMDb)

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Each week I look forward to your movie posts. Again a brilliant choice! Going to watch it this weekend. Thanks

-Ola

Diana Mieczan said...

Aww..thank you, Ola:)

Chloe Moon said...

Honestly I didn't finish the movie, I had to return it to the library but the beginning was beautiful...I love how the film centers around an impossible task that will be done! =)

Ergo - Blog

Chapstick Fanatic said...

i really wanted to see this! i will definitely have to check it out now!

http://lachapstickfanatique.blogspot.com

Karen Toms said...

I saw this movie for the first time over the holidays too! I had been wanting to see it for ages as I never got round to watching it when it was at the cinema.

I loved the chemistry between Ewan McGregor and Emily Blunt too and especially the scenery - I can't wait to go to Scotland again now.

Diana Mieczan said...

I like that too, Chloe:)

Diana Mieczan said...

Chapstick Fanatic, it's wonderful and it makes you feel happy. Great film, indeed:)

little t said...

I've just finished the book but haven't seen the film yet. I love that they cast Emily as Harriet. I love her!

Diana Mieczan said...

Same here, Karen. I really wanted to see it in the cinema but somewho we didn't manage. Btw: Scotland is so amazing, isn't it?

Diana Mieczan said...

Little t, she was amazing as Harriet! Plus she is such a cutie:)

Martie @ Spunkyrella said...

Haven´t seen this gem yet, but love to! I mean just the title make me curious, right?!

Ewan McGregor was great in The Ghostwriter. You have to watch it!!

Diana Mieczan said...

Totally, Martie:) Btw: I am so going to check out The Ghostwriter this weekend. Thanks for that, sweetie.

Punctuation Mark said...

I rented this movie to watch on my upcoming trip!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

exPress-o All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk