exPress-o Film Club: The Kids Are All Right

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Have you seen The Kids Are All Right? How did you like it? It’s a 2010 movie that I recently re-watched. It’s a thought provoking story of a gay couple (Julianne Moore and Annette Bening) and two teen kids (an 18-year-old girl, Joni and a 15 year-old boy, Laser) living in California. The film is about the journey those two kids take on to find and meet their sperm donor, Paul (Mark Ruffalo). The relationships between Paul and the kids and the two moms. It’s all about the meaning of family and the vulnerability of it. It's a raw, funny, heartbreaking at times and beautiful story. Hope you watch it!

Bits and bobs:
- Julianne also played in Crazy Stupid Love and The Hours but you might also remember her from Nine Months.
- She also just won a Golden Globe Award for Game Change.
- Here is her beautiful speech.
- Annette played the role of Carolyn in American Beauty and back in 1998 in The Siege.
- She also was amazing in Mother and Child. Have you seen it?
- Have you watched the Actors Studio with Julianne? It's lovely.
- Julianne on playing Palin.
- Mark was awesome in Shutter Island. Such a terrifying film.
- Annette on the movie.
- She blew me away in this scene.
- Mia Wasikowska played the daughter in the film and I loved her in Jane Eyre.
- And Josh Hutcherson played the son - you will totally remember him from The Hunger Games.
P.S: Plus, a few other cool movies not to miss!
P.P.S. Thank you all the sweet emails about the film club. I am so happy that you enjoy it, darlings:)

(Photos via IMDb)

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOVE that movie diana. One of my favorits. Jill

Jaime @ La vie...J'aime said...

I loved this movie-- so well done, well acted

Ethaney said...

need to see it!

holtkamp said...

i loved this movie! so sincere and also powerful.

McKenna Ryan said...

I really love this movie!! It is so good. This post makes me want to watch it again. xx. McKenna Lou
www.lynnandlou.blogspot.com

Lady Grey said...

I loved this film! I keep telling people to watch it!
xo

Oh, My Darling said...

Sigh, Mark Ruffalo!

Diana Mieczan said...

Jaime, I totally agree:) Perfect acting!

Diana Mieczan said...

I think you will like it, Ethaney. It's really a beautiful film.

Diana Mieczan said...

I so love what you said, holtkamp!!!

Diana Mieczan said...

Yay, Lou:)

Martie @ Spunkyrella said...

This was one of the movies I couldn´t wait to finally watch and then I was disappointed. I like the idea of the story.... but the whole having sex thing? I mean is she lesbian or bi.... I didn´t get it why he was the bad guy in the end. It takes two, right?!

I liked it in the beginning and in the end I was happy when the movie was finally over.....

Diana Mieczan said...

That is a good point, Martie. I think that the film shows how people can get lost in a feeling or an idea of something that could be there...and how partners take things for granted at times not realizing it ....

Martie @ Spunkyrella said...

I agree. But the kids have the right to build a relationship to their biological father and he seemed to try really hard and then he was the bad guy and they continued to be a happy family.......that´s what I didn´t like about the movie. It takes two to cheat and it wasn´t a one time thing but then they kind of put the whole responsibility in his hands, like he was the one who seduced her etc.

Still the acting was stellar!

Diana Mieczan said...

Marta, I totally agree that it takes two. Very good point, indeed! xoxo

Related Posts with Thumbnails

exPress-o All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk