The SFPH: Spicy Japanese Pumpkin Cream Soup

Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Are you still on a pumpkin kick like me? I’ve been enjoying it to the fullest this season in pies, coffee, salads and of course, soups. A few days before Thanksgiving I spotted a Hokkaido Japanese pumpkin in the Farmers' Market so I got it to see if I can use it for our festive soup. It was a hit! The awesome part about this little beauty is that you don’t have to peel it so it saves you tons of time and energy. It has the most wonderful chestnut undertone and mixed with a bit of chilli and topped off with honey roasted apples, it makes for a mouth-watering combination.  

And let’s face it, what’s better on a cold November evening than a bowl of a steamy soup on a sofa and under a blanket!

Here is the recipe:

Spicy Japanese Pumpkin Soup
(Adapted from Josephine Malene Kofod - A Tasty Love Story. Makes 2-3 servings)

* 1 medium sized Hokkaido pumpkin (chopped to small pieces)
* 2 carrots
* 1/2 of a medium sized celeriac
* 1 apple (peeled and chopped to small pieces)
* 5 cups chicken broth
* 1/2 chilli, red, hot and fresh
* 2 small onions
* 5 cloves of garlic
* 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
* 1/2 cup cream (fat 8-12%)
* 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
* Salt & pepper

Honey roasted apples
* 1 apple, cut into slim boats
* 3 Tbsp honey
* 1 tsp butter

* pumpkin seeds

Wash, peel and chop celeriac, carrots and onions, pumpkin and apple. Split the chilli open and remove the seeds. In a soup pot, heat up oil and add all of the vegetables and sauté for 5-6 minutes. Next, add the chicken broth and let it simmer until the vegetables get tender, approximately 25-30 min. In the meantime, in a skillet roast pumpkin seeds, until they appear golden and are popping. Remove and set aside. Next, add butter to the skillet along with the apples boats and honey. Sauté for about 4 minutes on medium heat or until the apples are tender but with a slightly crispy middle and a beautiful glow. Set your apples and pumpkin seeds aside. Next, use a blender to blend the soup into a creamy smooth texture. Add more broth if it is too thick. Add the apple cider vinegar, salt, pepper and cream. Let it simmer for additional 2-3 minutes before serving. Serve the soup with the honey apples and pumpkin seeds on top! Ta dah.
Loves, do you eat soups weekly? My dad used to cook soups daily when I was little and back then I wasn’t fond of them but now I can not get enough of their creamy and soothing taste. You?
P.S: Fancy more soups? How about this one, this one, oh and this?
P.P.S: Plus a few other of my favoruite recipes. Dig in!

(Photos by exPress-o. Layout by Ana Degenaar - Blog Milk for exPress-o. Thank you Ana for your help with this series).


xx Macie said...

what a pretty meal!

amen fashion, xo

Diana Mieczan said...

Thanks, Macie:)

Blond Duck said...

I'm totally obsessed with pumpkin right now! Love the savory twist!

shopgirl said...

this looks delicious Diana! i'm so glad to be back blogging!

hope you had a wonderful thanksgiving weekend!


Chloe Moon said...

I've never heard of a Hokkaido pumpkin before? I thought it was a picture of a pomegranate. =P Sounds delicious!!! I don't know where I find one those pumpkins where I live...hmmm...I gotta find one! =)


Richelle Lynn Garn said...

Holy deliciousness! That looks incredible! I am totally making this for dinner soon. I can't quite give up the pumpkin dishes yet.

Diana Mieczan said...

Blond Duck, you'll love it!

Diana Mieczan said...

So lovely to see you, Reese:)

Diana Mieczan said...

Chloe, you can probably buy one at a good local Farmers' Market. Good luck!

Lady Grey said...

Oh this sounds exquisitely good!

Lady Grey said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Diana Mieczan said...

Thanks, Vanessa:)

Joye Schwartz said...

Diana, I have to tell you that I made this soup tonight for dinner! We are vegan, so I substituted veg stock and cashew cream and it was delicious! Thanks for posting this recipe.

Diana Mieczan said...

Aww..that is fantastic, Joye! So happy that you enjoyed it:) My pleasure. xo

plasterers bristol said...

sounds delicious, something new to try. Thanks for posting.


Related Posts with Thumbnails

exPress-o All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk