Butter Substitute: Avocado?

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Ha! Fancy a cooking trick using avocado as butter substitute? Well, the same way as you would replace butter with applesauce while making brownies, now you can do the exact same thing with avocado. Simply replace half of the butter in any cookie, cake or muffin recipes with puréed avocado. This swap not only cuts the total fat count by 35 percent, it also makes the cookies softer, chewier, and with less crumble. Btw: according to Trisha Calvo the swap doesn’t affect the taste at all.

Here are four scrumptious recipes using the avocado trick if you fancy a go:

Who would have thought? Have you tried this trick before? Would you? I’m totally intrigued by it! You? xo
 
P.S: Plus, two awesome avocado tricks and baked (avocado) fries.
P.P.S: And my favoruite morning booster.
 
(Tip via Trisha Calvo - Shape Magazine. Photos by Katie - The Hill Country Cook and via Fashion Looks)

13 comments:

Elsa de Diego said...

Dear Diana! U always amazed me with these incredible findings! Will certainly try this! xoxo

Anonymous said...

This is the coolest thing. I always try to bake and cook very healthy so this is surely for me. I am planning to make brownie on Thursday using this tip. Jill

Diana Mieczan said...

Elsa, you are so wonderful:) Glad that you like it.

Diana Mieczan said...

Oh fantastic, Jill! Good luck:)

Vintage Market Place said...

I am in!

I am trying a lot of new things for my holiday baking this year.
My son is now gluten free so it is always making me tweak things here and there in recipes.

Amy

Dancing Branflake said...

I need to get some today for sure! Thanks for this!

Tsuki aka LittleGrayFox said...

love this!

Stephanie said...

I've never done this before, but I HAVE substituted avocado for mayonnaise in a BLT sandwich!!

Punctuation Mark said...

I love it..l never thought of using as butter but it's definitely healthier!

Just Another Shopaholic said...

This would be great for me, I love avocados!!

Diana Mieczan said...

My pleasure, Tiffany:)

Diana Mieczan said...

Great idea, Stephanie!

Diana Mieczan said...

Amy, Deb from SK has a fantastic selection of gluten-free recipes. I've tried a handful already and they were great. Here is the link if you fancy checking them out: http://smittenkitchen.com/recipes/#Gluten

Btw: This soup is my all time favourite: http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2012/01/carrot-soup-with-miso-and-sesame/

Related Posts with Thumbnails

exPress-o All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk